Sorry for this long text and my bad english. And please be kind to me - it is my very first posting to this mailing list ... I have written a *very small* patch against the linux 2.4.20 kernel and I want to submit it now. The short story --------------- The trackpad on the MacIntosh iBook Notebooks have a feature that prevents unintended trackpad input while typing on the keyboard. There are no mouse-moves or mouse-taps for a short period of time after each keystroke. I believe that many people with i386 notebooks would like this feature and I want to give it to the linux community. First I had the idea of writing a loadable kernel module "trackpad" that implements that feature and is loadable via insmod keybd_irq=? mouse_irq=? delay=? The long story -------------- My first approach was - because I came from the bad old M$-DOS times - write something like a "terminate and stay resident program" Procedure LoadModule Save the currentlly installed handlers for keyboard and mouse. Install your own interrupt handlers for keyboard and mouse. End Procedure UnloadModule Stop and remove "reset-timer" if necessary Restore the saved interrupt handlers for keyboard and mouse End Procedure KbdHandler Stop or modify "reset-timer" if necessary Set global variable block_mouse_events=1 Start a timer that resets block_mouse_events=0 after ??? mSec Call the old keyboard interrupt handler End Proceure MouseHandler if block_mouse_events>0 then call ACK(mouse irq) if necessary do nothing else call old mouse interrupt handler End So I bought the book "Linux Device Drivers" written by Alessandro Rubini & Jonathan Corbert. It is an excellent book about LKM, but I couldn't find a way to "save and restore" irq-handlers as in the design described above. That's why I requested a little help in the newsgroup at comp.os.linux.development.system. This ended up with some people who said "don't mess around with irq-handlers in that way". While trying to gain a deeper understanding of irq-handling - espically for mouse and keyboard handlers - I found out that the keyboard and mouse interrupts are handled *both* in /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/pc_keyb.c. Ok, that is only true for PS/2 mice, but the majority of notebooks on the market have a PS/2 trackpad. On modifiying the pc_keyb.c file there is no longer a need to save/restore Interrupt handlers or to call them indirecty via a function pointer. Unfortunatly it has to be compiled in the kernel and cannot be written as a LKM module. But anyway - I sad down and got a working solution very quickly! I'm very glad with it! I needed not more than 45 minutes to get this working! Works in textmode (gpm) and under X11 as expected! Testing ------- I have tested my patch only on my own notebook (Compaq M300). It would help a lot if there are some volunteers... Future Plans ------------ [x] make the "disable trackpad time" configurable via the /proc filesystem. Do you think that /proc/sys/kernel/trackpad is a good place for it? There are other files under the /proc/sys/kernel directory that fall in the category "keyboard handling", e.g. ctrl-alt-del or sysrq. [x] make a /proc entry to allow "disable trackpad" and "enable trackpad". That would allow to turn the builtin trackpad off when an external mouse is pluged in, and to re-enable it when an external mouse is unplugged again. Here is the patch -----------------