From: Michael Bellion and Thomas Heinz <nf@hipac.org>
To: P@draigbrady.com
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, netdev@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] nf-hipac v0.8 released
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 18:57:32 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Pádraig

You wrote:
> I was testing with 64 byte packets (so around 190Kpps). e100 cards at
> least have a handy mode for continually sending a packet as fast as
> possible. Also you can use more than one interface.

Yes, that's true. When we did the performance tests we had in mind to
compare the worst case behaviour of nf-hipac and iptables.
Therefore we designed a ruleset which models the worst case for both
iptables and nf-hipac. Of course, the test environment could have been
tuned a lot more, e.g. udp instead of tcp, FORWARD chain instead of
INPUT, tuned network parameters, more interfaces etc.

Anyway, we prefer independent, more sophisticated performance tests.

>>> # ./readprofile -m /boot/System.map | sort -nr | head -30
>>>   6779 total                                      0.0047
>>>   4441 default_idle                              69.3906
>>>    787 handle_IRQ_event                           7.0268
>>>    589 ip_packet_match                            1.6733
>>>    433 ipt_do_table                               0.6294
>>>    106 eth_type_trans                             0.5521
>>>    [...]
>
> Confused me too. The system would lock up and start dropping
> packets after 125 rules. I.E. it would linearly degrade
> as more rules were added. I'm guessing there is a fixed
> interrupt overhead that is accounted for
> by default_idle?

Hm, but once the system starts to drop packets ip_packet_match and
ipt_do_table start to dominate the profile, don't they?

Regards,

|   Michael Bellion     |     Thomas Heinz     |
| <mbellion@hipac.org>  |  <creatix@hipac.org> |