From: "Mika Penttilä" <mika.penttila@kolumbus.fi>
To: Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.redhat.com
Subject: Re: swsusp / 2.6.0-test1
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 00:45:41 +0300	[thread overview]

Pavel Machek wrote:

>Hi!

>>>You probably need to write suspend/resume support for your card.
>>>

>>Just wondering what kind of support for suspend/resume is "enough", say
>>for video cards? Surely not the pci configuration space, you need to
>>restore video mode, color maps, gfx engine state etc etc...what about
>>frame buffer contents on card? Probably yes. Sounds like a lot of code,
>>and different thing for every possible video card. Is there some general
>>guidance here? Is drivers/video soon bloating with tons of
>>suspend/resume code? I hope I am wrong :)
>>

>I'm not sure if you are wrong. If you switch  to non-graphics console,
>that may save some code, but...

ah ok, so at this stage swsuspending a X desktop doesn't work in general
case, of course depending on video hardware? If X had some notion of
suspend/resume things would be easier, than insisting every single
driver save and restore all. After all the pci config space should be
enough for kernel drivers?

>BTW vger.redhat.com, what is that?
>								Pavel

Don't know, just did reply all and seems to work :)

--Mika