From: Edward King <edk@cendatsys.com>
To: "John V. Martinez" <jvm@snarkhunter.com>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.4.21-pre4: PDC ide driver problems with shared interrupts
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:02:49 -0500	[thread overview]

Do not compile the devfs -- I beleive if you compile it, it will be used
(it can't be compiled as a module).

I caught the error because partimage didn't find /dev/hda1 but found the
path devfs uses natively (don't remember, something like bsd, not
important) which I beleive (and could be really off base here) that the
/dev/hda1 actually pointed to if devfs code was compiled in (I _think_
-- big stress on not being sure -- that devfs makes itself transparent.)

Compile without devfs and try it.  It doesn't matter how many ide
controllers you use, where you put the drives, DMA settings, etc.  I
found with devfs the raid would crash in a heartbeat but single drives
would respond without a hiccup -- even running bonnie on each drive
simultaneously for hours.

As for more ide ports, no idea.  Maybe the new SATA will help there but
I haven't played with them.

- Ed