From: Hiroshi Miura <miura@da-cha.org>
To: hirofumi@mail.parknet.co.jp
Cc: ndiamond@wta.att.ne.jp, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org,
	vojtech@suse.cz, junkio@cox.net
Subject: Re: Japanese keyboards broken in 2.6
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:16:12 +0900	[thread overview]

I can use Japanese keyboard.
I DO recompile console-tools with header file in linux-2.5/2.6.
Because of NR_KEYS change, as Ogawa-san said,
in 2.4 NR_KEYS=128, in 2.6 NR_KEYS= 0x200

When recompile, some tools fails compile on linux-2.6,
but 'loadkeys' compiles nicely.

Instantly, user can set new keymap to use a recompiled loadkey command.

BTW, Ogawa-san's patch is needed?
I think this fix should made on user-mode tool 'console-tools'.
As same as module-init-tools, console-tools should detect kernel version
and switch type of interface, doesn't it?

Junkio's patch looks reasonable.

OGAWA Hirofumi wrote:
> Andries Brouwer <aebr@win.tue.nl> writes:
>

>>On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 10:56:33PM +0900, Norman Diamond wrote:
>>

>>>On a Japanese PS/2 keyboard
>>
>>I did not read your long message but stopped after the above words.
>>Sorry if this is not an answer (ask again).
>>
>>For 2.6.0t1 it helps to add the line
>>
>>  keycode 183 = backslash bar
>>
>>to your keymap.
>

> I remembered this problem. At 2.4.x kbd tools use "#define NR_KEYS 128".
> So, we can't set >= 128.
>
> Currently NR_KEYS is 0x200 (KEY_MAX+1). We can't only recompile
> because ->kb_index (struct kbentry) type using "unsigned char".
>
> What do you think the following patch? (it may be needed to cleanup or
> rewrite)
>
> Thanks.

Hiroshi Miura
miura@da-cha.org