Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote: >This looks like erase not working properly... This usually happens >after switching back from X as X tends to leave some garbage in some >engine registers, and is usually cured by switching to another console > Interesting, I hadn't even bothered to try X at this point, was using the console exclusively. Giving X a whirl, I see what you mean - it leaves the screen an unreadable pixel soup upon return to console mode. Oddly though, in my case, neither switching consoles nor a gratuitous fbset had any effect (though I didn't try all that exhaustively). >Since your problem seem to not depend on XFree, I suspect something >else hairy is going on with the engine, I don't know what yet though, >I'll try to find some clue. > OK, per request, output from 'dmesg' attached in its entirety. The system is based around a Soltek SL75-DRV2 motherboard with an Athlon XP, VIA KT266A/8233 and one of the early-production clock-reduced Radeon 8500LEE boards that were sold initially in Japan (if you believe the user-comments on the newegg.com website). Thanks for investigating! Kris I wrote originally, >Problem #1: When scrolling, radeonfb fails to erase the portion of the >> screen at the bottom, leaving all sorts of random pixels in the bottom >> line. Further scrolling propagates these pixels upwards. >> See http://enterprise.bidmc.harvard.edu/~ktk/temp/radeonfb/screen-1.jpg >> (Sorry for camera-shake; hand-held in dim room...) >