From: Alessandro Suardi <alessandro.suardi@oracle.com>
To: Marcelo Tosatti <marcelo@conectiva.com.br>
Cc: linux-kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: radeon still broken (was: Linux 2.4.22-pre8)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:36:24 +0200	[thread overview]

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here goes -pre8. It contains network driver updates, IEEE1394 update, a
> POSIX compliance fix introduced by the execve() security fixes during
> early -pre, amongst others.
>
> Detailed changelog below

radeon is still broken. Looks obvious since it was broken for me
  since -pre6, and -pre8 didn't change anything apparently... but
  I decided to give -pre8 a spin anyway.

To my surprise, the framebuffer didn't go wild as it happened in
  earlier occasions - as in here:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0307.2/0732.html

However, firing startx resulted in a black screen and a hard hang
  (had to keep the poweroff button for 10" to actually power off).

So I tried booting -pre8 again, and this time the framebuffer went
  wild again. It looks like there is a timing issue perhaps ?

I'm available for testing and debugging this - so far I'm stuck
  with -pre4 which is the latest working.

Thanks in advance for any help/insight.

--alessandro

  "Prima di non essere sincera / Pensa che ti tradisci solo tu"
       (Vasco Rossi, 'Prima di partire per un lungo viaggio')