From: "Ihar \"Philips\" Filipau" <filia@softhome.net>
To: Mike Fedyk <mfedyk@matchmail.com>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: OT: Vanilla not for embedded?! Re: Kernel 2.6 size increase - get_current()?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 13:57:12 +0200	[thread overview]

Mike Fedyk wrote:

> Vanilla will be what people put into it.  And I have seen more messages from
> embedded people complaining, than actually doing and submitting patches for
> merging.
>
> So the embedded trees are a deep fork huh?  Did you or anyone else do
> anything to merge during 2.5?!
>
> And now you see why there is a "deep" fork...

   Real-time stuff is a must - something like RTAI.
   Things like Linux Trace Toolkit - soone or later you have to start
using them to tune performace.
   Patches to remove mandatory (for 2.2/2.0) PCI/IDE support were pretty
common too.
   Patch to shrink network hashes - norm of life.
   Patch to kill PCI names database.
   And this is only things I was using personally (and I remember about)
in my short 4 years carrier.

   CONFIG_TINY - http://lwn.net/Articles/14186/ - got something like
this merged? - so I'm the first guy in the download queue on ftp.kernel.org!

   Kernel heavily tuned for servers and workstations (read - modern PCs).

   At my previous position company was using kernel prepared by Karim
Yaghmour and right now we using kernels from MontaVista.
   Far from vanillas.

 > embedded people complaining

   Sure complaining.
   For some reasons all "improvements" to kernel had lead to increase of
kernel size, not decrease. Strange, isn't it?