From: Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com>
To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: SOLVED: Re: SATA (Serial ATA) support in 2.4.x?
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:32:30 -0700	[thread overview]

Erik Steffl wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 11:50:16AM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
>>
>>>  I am specifically interested whether it should support disks above
>>> 137GB (as I have problems accessing anything above 137GB on 250GB
>>> SATA drive)
>>

>> It should.
>>
>> I will be testing this when I return from OLS, next week.

   just in case anybody's searching the archives:

   I got the following advice from Jeff Garzik and it worked (didn't do
much testing yet, but at least the whole disk is usable):

   2.4.21-ac4 (vanilla plus ac4 patches)

   create another vanilla tree with libata5 patches, then copy the
following files to ac4 tree: drivers/scsi/{ata_piix,libata}.c and
include/linux/ata.h

   build with scsi ata support (make sure you have bios set so that sata
drives are seen as sata drives, not legacy ide drives, I only got
machines lockups in legacy mode). The disks should be visible as scis
disk (/dev/sd[a-z]).

   libata5 patch:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/patchkits/2.4/2.4.21-libata5.patch.bz2

	erik