* devfs with 2.6.0-test4 kernel
@ 2003-09-11  8:44 Harry Brueckner
From: Harry Brueckner @ 2003-09-11  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,

I just switched to a self compiled 2.6.0-test4 kernel with devfs support on
my Debian unstable system. devfsd is running nicely without any complaints.
On my old 2.4.20 kernel I did not use devfs.

Now when I boot into the new 2.6 kernel it starts up but throws tons of
messages like

FATAL: Module /dev/ttyx0
FATAL: Module /dev/ttyx1
FATAL: Module /dev/ttyx2
FATAL: Module /dev/ttyx3
FATAL: Module /dev/ttyx4
FATAL: Module /dev/ttyx5

and it seems not to find alot of other /dev entries as well.

Googling around I did not find any hints about where this problem might
come from.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

TIA, Harry

* Re: devfs with 2.6.0-test4 kernel
@ 2003-09-11  8:54 ` Ivan Gyurdiev
From: Ivan Gyurdiev @ 2003-09-11  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Brueckner; +Cc: linux-kernel, Rusty Russell

> Any ideas what might be wrong?

Modprobe is too verbose when it comes to devfs failures.
This is known issue, and Rusty Russel has a patch for modutils, but he
hasn't merged it yet, I think (or has he?).

* Re: devfs with 2.6.0-test4 kernel
@ 2003-09-12  3:39   ` Rusty Russell
From: Rusty Russell @ 2003-09-12  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Gyurdiev; +Cc: Harry Brueckner, linux-kernel

In message <3F60383B.6030406@cornell.edu> you write:

> > Any ideas what might be wrong?
>
> Modprobe is too verbose when it comes to devfs failures.
> This is known issue, and Rusty Russel has a patch for modutils, but he
> hasn't merged it yet, I think (or has he?).

I've just released 0.9.14.

Cheers!
Rusty.

* Re: devfs with 2.6.0-test4 kernel
@ 2003-09-12  9:32 ` Claas Langbehn
From: Claas Langbehn @ 2003-09-12  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Brueckner; +Cc: linux-kernel

Harry Brueckner wrote:

> FATAL: Module /dev/ttyx0
> FATAL: Module /dev/ttyx1
> FATAL: Module /dev/ttyx2
> FATAL: Module /dev/ttyx3
> FATAL: Module /dev/ttyx4
> FATAL: Module /dev/ttyx5

I had this, too. But it disappeared with test5-mm1 on my debian sid.
Try to update sysvinit. If that does not help, try with a newer kernel,
too.

claa. But it disappeared with test5-mm1 on my debian sid.
Try to update sysvinit. If that does not help, try with a newer kernel,
too.

claas