* lmbench context switch regression
@ 2003-11-05 12:28 Nick Piggin
From: Nick Piggin @ 2003-11-05 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds, Andrew Morton; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi,
I'm seeing quite a large context switch speed regression as reported
by lmbench when I patched from test9 to test9-mm2.

The obvious thing I can see from the patch is the PF_DEAD finish_task_switch
change. I don't have time to investigate further tonight though.

lmbench two 0 sized processes context switch times go from around 1.80us to
2.60us on my PIII 650 (UP).

* Re: lmbench context switch regression
@ 2003-11-05 23:16 ` Nick Piggin
From: Nick Piggin @ 2003-11-05 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: Andrew Morton, linux-kernel

Nick Piggin wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm seeing quite a large context switch speed regression as reported
> by lmbench when I patched from test9 to test9-mm2.
>
> The obvious thing I can see from the patch is the PF_DEAD
> finish_task_switch
> change. I don't have time to investigate further tonight though.
>
> lmbench two 0 sized processes context switch times go from around
> 1.80us to
> 2.60us on my PIII 650 (UP).

The regression is smaller when going from test9 to test9-bk. About .2us
(10%).
It does not go away when reverting the PF_DEAD change. Maybe its just lucky
alignment?