Followup to last test with 2.4.23pre6aa3. same config as before (ext3 /ql2300 / bonnie++) I forgot to mention that I have quotas enabled on the partition under test. There have been a few 2.4 / quota / ext3 deadlock-type mails on the list recently so I'm sot sure if this is related. I can see an atime update in the call trace of one of the bonnies but no dquot_ calls anywhere. I haven't applied Jan's patch as it came out before I could reliably reproduce this problem. In the meantime I'll restart testing with noatime - which is how I'd usually mount such a fs anyhow. The box seems to deadlock after 3-6 days of filesystem exercise. I have repeated this 3 times. The last run was 6 days and and then I see all disk I/O has ceased. The system remains pingable and sshd connects at the TCP layer but nothing happens after that. The root filesystem is ext3 but is a completely separate device (motherboard scsi) to the filesystems running bonnie (external FC RAID). It seems that all filesystem activity ceases. I have run the alt-sysrq-t ouput through ksymoops and attached. Hope this is useful to someone who knows. -jamie Jamie Clark wrote: > I made the quick fix (disabling rq_mergeable) and started the load test. > Will let it run for a week or so. > > Thanks for the help! > -Jamie > > Andrea Arcangeli wrote: > >> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 10:49:29AM +0800, Jamie Clark wrote: >> >>> Hi, >>> >>> Consistent oops with 2.4.23pre6aa3 after 3-4 hours running bonnie on >>> ext3 fs through qla2300 HBA. (w SMP, HIGHMEM) The test machine was >>> completely wedged so I ended up transcribing the oops from the vga >>> console. No typos I think. >>> >> I need to release an update that has a chance to fix it. Jens identified >> problem in his last_merge scsi patch so I will back it out. >> >> you can try to backout it by yourself in the meantime, it's called >> \*elevator-merge-fast-path\* . or you can disable it with this patch: >