* bug in -test11 make xconfig
@ 2003-11-29 10:25 Christopher Sawtell
From: Christopher Sawtell @ 2003-11-29 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Greets to linux-kernel people,

  I have noticed that it is not possible to configure the kernel to use the
xfs file system using the 'make xconfig' command.

  'make menuconfig' and 'make gconfig' appear to work correctly.

 No need to reply, & I'm not worth to be be subscribed because of insufficient
knowledge.

[parent not found: <WSA7.6D.39@gated-at.bofh.it>]
[parent not found: <3FCD21E1.5080300@netzentry.com>]
* RE: NForce2 pseudoscience stability testing (2.6.0-test11)
@ 2003-12-03  0:58 Allen Martin
From: Allen Martin @ 2003-12-03  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ian Kumlien', b
From: b @ 2003-12-03  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pomac; +Cc: linux-kernel

How is the performance of the generic IDE driver?

My experience that it was almost unusable (kernel 2.4.22,
2.4.23) (fsck taking hours, etc)

@ 2003-12-03  1:32 Allen Martin
From: Allen Martin @ 2003-12-03  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: b @ 2003-12-04  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wa1ter; +Cc: linux-kernel

 >Subject: Re: NForce2 pseudoscience stability testing (2.6.0-test11)
 >>Josh McKinney wrote:
 >> To me the strangest thing is that when I first got this
 >>board a month or
 >> so ago it would hang with APIC or LAPIC enabled.  Now it works
 >>fine
 >> without disabling APIC.  All I did was update the BIOS and
 >>use it for a
 >> while with APIC disabled...
 >
 >Does the new BIOS use different defaults for memory timing,
 >bus speed, etc?
 >Did you change any of the default settings in the BIOS?

-- I don't think this issue has anything to do with motherboard
maker or BIOS rev. Most of the people with this problem are
not overclocking and have stable machines with other OSes or
under certain conditions namely:

* In general NForce2 boards are stable under windows 2000
- a far as I can tell

* The boards are stable under certain conditions. The final
test for this (Proposed by Allen Martin
[AMartin at nvidia ! com] is to get a stable well supported
PCI-IDE add in card and ignore the "AMD/NVIDIA" IDE onboard.
(First pointed out by Ian Kumlien I believe)
"If we all have that, and deadlock when using the amd/nvidia
driver.. then we know that that might be the fault. The
machine still locks for a while so, it's not just the ide,
  but it might be a good place to start."

* NForce2 boards are stable when using APIC and using generic
IDE driver. This is painfully slow but is stable.

-- In general: I dont think it should be so easy to blame
the BIOS. If one isnt overclocking and using the SPD on the
memory and using conservative settings, what difference
should that make? And if the board is stable with another
OS I take this "BIOS blaming" and basically throw it out. BIOS
is a deprecated arcane ridiculous thing and should never be
trusted. I have seen on several nicer dual SCSI based
machines messages on boot about certain values being changed
or fixed up.

-- Fixing this for 2.4.x too is important so be sure to try
and find out if 2.4.23 hangs if you get a stable 2.6 thing
going.

Thanks everyone for your continued interest in this, I'll
try and test the no-onboard-PATA + UP LAPIC and IOAPIC and
add-in-card-PATA with no onboard PATA + + UP LAPIC and IOAPIC
when I get a spare moment which is rare.

PS: If you are being CCed and dont want to be, let me know
Some people arent on the list.

* Re: NForce2 pseudoscience stability testing (2.6.0-test11)
@ 2003-12-04  2:57 b
From: b @ 2003-12-04  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: recbo; +Cc: linux-kernel

 >Bob wrote:
 >Local APIC locked up with nforce2 and VIA,
 >impossibly serious with nforce2 and non-amd
 >offboard ide controller cards. BIOS flash made
 >problems go away.
 >
 >I experienced the lockups when using promise and
 >siig sis ide hd controller pci cards. I still had problems
 >with a 3ware card.
 >
 >Flashing the bios solved all problems. Now I run
 >both the via and nforce2 mboards with APIC and
 >Local APIC on in kernel. I'm running six ide drives,
 >four on a 3ware pci hd controller card using ide-scsi.
 >
 >I got sound working on nforce2, and nvidia ti4200
 >agp8 vid card(nvidia drivers crash X but agpgart
 >with X "nv" instead of "nvidia" works in 2D well),
 >but not usb. The sound config problem was fixed
 >by "ln -s sound/dsp2 /dev/dsp". The apps only
 >look for /dev/dsp.
 >
 >-Bob

Do you think that motherboard maker was really at fault or
did they genuinely fix a grotesque error. Were any changes
in the BIOS-change-list relevant to fixing up this APIC
problem in Linux?

Can you provide the following:
- which motherboard
- which bios revs (the broken one and the fixed one)
- which kernel are you running (is it vanilla, from a dist,
recompiled)
- lspci
- cat /proc/interrupts
- dmesg
- .config from kernel (if not stock from dist)

I really, really hope this problem can be solved without
a BIOS upgrade because getting board manufacturers to do
anything is very difficult.

* RE: NForce2 pseudoscience stability testing (2.6.0-test11)
@ 2003-12-04  5:11 Allen Martin
From: Allen Martin @ 2003-12-04  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: b @ 2003-12-04  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AMartin; +Cc: linux-kernel

Allen Martin wrote:
 >Also are people who are having problems using rounded or flat
 >cables?  It's
 >possible the problem could be related to DMA CRC errors.
 >Switching to flat
 >cables can help with that.
 >
 >-Allen

I'm using the one that came with the board, flat 80 wire. It
works under extreme stress in Windows 2000. It doesnt work
in Linux.

(I generated millions of interrupts from IDE and network
(dual gigabit) in Windows 2000 on this very hardware for
3 days - thats why I came to the LKML, I did an empirical
test that indicated Linux, and did some reading and others
have had similar problems.)

* RE: NForce2 pseudoscience stability testing (2.6.0-test11)
@ 2003-12-04  8:59 b
From: b @ 2003-12-04  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cbradney; +Cc: linux-kernel

This is the nature of this problem. I have seen reports
it can hold out for sometimes a week.

We need patches to try on 2.6 and 2.4 bad.

Craig Bradney wrote

@ 2003-12-04  9:09 b
From: b @ 2003-12-04  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: the3dfxdude, prakashpublic; +Cc: linux-kernel

Prakash Cheemplavam wrote
 >>>Thanks everyone for your continued interest in this, I'll
 >>>try and test the no-onboard-PATA + UP LAPIC and IOAPIC and
 >>>add-in-card-PATA with no onboard PATA + + UP LAPIC and IOAPIC
 >>>when I get a spare moment which is rare.
 >
 >I don't think that the AMD IDE is the problem. I have compiled
 >it in, as
 >well, but I am using the onboard SATA. Since this can be
 >considered as  >an pci-card (the chip is connected to the pci
 > bridge) I think ölocking occurs on high traffic on PCI bus.
 > Like now I get over 60mb/s with my >HD. Formerly I got only
 > 25mb/s. before I could do some rounds of hdparm -t, before it
 > locks. Now it locks immediately when doing hdparm -t
 > when  APIC is enabled.
 >
 >SO, I think it is not IDE specific. Does anybody have gigabit
 > network card? Maybe that we should try to push something big
 > through it (without reading from hd). If that leads to lock
 > up we have a semi proof that it is due to high traffic on
 > pci-bus.

I was thinking that myself (PCI activity triggering this).
The first time I hit this problem was with a card with two
ACENics/tigon2 (acenic.o) sniffing traffic at high rates
(100,000pps+) with most file i/o going over NFS on the
integrated 3com interface.

I ran for three days 200,000+pps sniffing with tethereal on
windows2000 on both acenics and never a lockup.

The AMD-Nvidia PATA does seem to be a very common in this
problem, but everyone at least has a CD-ROM and most
have a PATA hard disk so its going to be there every time
a problems crops up. I think we need to prove that an
solid add-in PCI PATA card that takes the CD and the
and the PATA disk and shut off the onboard ATA and torture
test again. I havent had time to yet.

* RE: NForce2 pseudoscience stability testing (2.6.0-test11)
@ 2003-12-04 12:17 b
From: b @ 2003-12-04 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dan; +Cc: linux-kernel

Dan Creswell wrote:

Thanks for the input, I'll pass it to the list.

Most of these Athlon victims are UP users, in fact, I
believe they are exclusively UP. Does MPS 1.1/1.4 play a role
in a UP system ever? I dont think the NForce2 chipset,
where we are seeing these hard hangs (no ping, no screen,
no blinking cursor, no toggling the caps lock, nothing) is
capable of SMP operation.

Now whats interesting is you finger the IDE as a potential
culprit and think its very low level. Interesting.

By the way, I've had trouble with SMP on a Tyan board with an
i840 chipset with Linux before - I was never able to resolve
the issue and had to return the board.

I've beaten on an Intel SR1300 and SR2300 dual Xeon (aka
Micron's Netframe 1610/2610 aka Sun 60x / 65x) and never run
into these hangs with kernels up to 2.4.22. The motherboard
is an Intel SE7501WV2 .

 >Hi,
 >Been following this thread silently for a while and thought
 >I'd drop you
 >a line as I have some other data you may find useful.
 >
 >My machine is a dual Xeon with 2Gb, E1000 NIC, MPT LSI SCSI
 >disks and an
 >IDE CDROM.
 >
 >2.6-test9 is only stable on this machine with noapic passed in the
 >kernel parameters - otherwise, it lock's up in no time flat.
 >I can also
 >run this kernel in single-processor mode with the APIC enabled and
 >that's stable.
 >
 >2.4.23-rc2 runs fine on the same machine with the APIC enabled
 >in SMP mode.
 >
 >2.4.23-rc5 locks up on this machine if I use the same .config as
for
 >-rc2.  However, if I disable ACPI and pass "pci=noacpi" to the
kernel,
 >this too runs fine.
 >    - Seems like the ACPI changes in -rc3 are a problem for my
machine.

 >All of these behaviors have been observed with MPS 1.4 (I've
changed
 >that BIOS setting to 1.1 today in preparation for more testing of
the
 >above to see if that makes a difference).
 >
 >I mention all of this because none of my lock-ups have happened
whilst
 >accessing the IDE subsystem.  I *have* had lockups with
simultaneous

@ 2003-12-04 13:07 Dan Creswell
From: Dan Creswell @ 2003-12-04 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Sorry, should've sent this CC'd to list first time (time to make some
more coffee :)

> Thanks for the input, I'll pass it to the list.

You're welcome.

> Most of these Athlon victims are UP users, in fact, I
> believe they are exclusively UP. Does MPS 1.1/1.4 play a role
> in a UP system ever? I dont think the NForce2 chipset,

No, MPS shouldn't matter on a UP system.

> where we are seeing these hard hangs (no ping, no screen,
> no blinking cursor, no toggling the caps lock, nothing) is
> capable of SMP operation.
>
> Now whats interesting is you finger the IDE as a potential
> culprit and think its very low level. Interesting.

Well, I actually finger heavy duty disk access - my system locks under
*SCSI* load (via a PCI-card - the motherboard doesn't have built in
SCSI), I've not had it happen with my CDROM which is on the IDE
subsystem.  This leads me to my conclusion in respect of interrupt
load.  It seems to be an issue with simultaneous interrupts from another
source but that's subjective......

> By the way, I've had trouble with SMP on a Tyan board with an
> i840 chipset with Linux before - I was never able to resolve
> the issue and had to return the board.

Interesting - I've had a number of Tyan boards and this is the first one
I've had any issues with.  What bugs me more is that 2.4 seems fine
(caveat 2.4.23-rc5 - wondering if the ACPI changes here are back-ported
from 2.6) whilst 2.6 is horrid.  This is the only thing changing in the
system which implies that something different goes on in 2.6 from 2.4
and that it break's things.  Now it could be 2.6 is using some
additional features - but the problem (once located) would be simply
removed by providing an "off" switch to stop usage of those features.

> I've beaten on an Intel SR1300 and SR2300 dual Xeon (aka
> Micron's Netframe 1610/2610 aka Sun 60x / 65x) and never run
> into these hangs with kernels up to 2.4.22. The motherboard
> is an Intel SE7501WV2 .

Okay - well my Tyan also runs on kernels up to 2.4.22 no problem -
useful information though.

Thanks,

Dan.