* w83627hf watchdog
@ 2003-12-04 19:15 Ethan Weinstein
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ethan Weinstein @ 2003-12-04 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-Kernel

Hi,

My Supermicro X5DPL-iGM-O has a winbond w83627hf chip onboard that
includes a watchdog timer.  I found a driver on freshmeat that points
here: http://www.freestone.net/soft/pkg/w83627hf-wdt.tar.gz
but this does not seem to work correctly on 2.4.23, even with my
modifications to the ioports and registers that Supermicro sent me. I
have tried to contact the developer, he hasn't responded.  I also
located a post to linux-kerel quite sometime ago:

http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Dec/att-4150/w83627hf_wdt.c

  I haven't tried this driver just yet. The lm_sensors project seems to
include a driver for this chip as well, but not for the watchdog part.
The specifications Supermicro sent me for the watchdog function are
located here:

http://www.stinkfoot.org/wdt.txt

Any help would greatly be appreciated, I know this particular chip is
included with many motherboards.

Ethan

* Re: w83627hf watchdog
@ 2003-12-05  5:08 ` Ethan Weinstein
From: Ethan Weinstein @ 2003-12-05  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Ethan Weinstein wrote:

> My Supermicro X5DPL-iGM-O has a winbond w83627hf chip onboard that
> includes a watchdog timer.  I found a driver on freshmeat that points
> here: http://www.freestone.net/soft/pkg/w83627hf-wdt.tar.gz
> but this does not seem to work correctly on 2.4.23, even with my
> modifications to the ioports and registers that Supermicro sent me. I
> have tried to contact the developer, he hasn't responded.  I also
> located a post to linux-kerel quite sometime ago:
>
> http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Dec/att-4150/w83627hf_wdt.c

Thought I'd mention that the above mentioned driver apparently works
quite well with the w83627hf, I've run some preliminary tests simulating
lockups, and the box reboots according to the timer setttings.

Ethan

* Re: w83627hf watchdog
@ 2003-12-06 19:59 ` Herbert Poetzl
From: Herbert Poetzl @ 2003-12-06 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ethan Weinstein; +Cc: Linux-Kernel

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 02:15:16PM -0500, Ethan Weinstein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My Supermicro X5DPL-iGM-O has a winbond w83627hf chip onboard that
> includes a watchdog timer.  I found a driver on freshmeat that points
> here: http://www.freestone.net/soft/pkg/w83627hf-wdt.tar.gz
> but this does not seem to work correctly on 2.4.23, even with my
> modifications to the ioports and registers that Supermicro sent me. I
> have tried to contact the developer, he hasn't responded.  I also
> located a post to linux-kerel quite sometime ago:
>
> http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Dec/att-4150/w83627hf_wdt.c
>
>  I haven't tried this driver just yet. The lm_sensors project seems to
> include a driver for this chip as well, but not for the watchdog part.
> The specifications Supermicro sent me for the watchdog function are
> located here:
>
> http://www.stinkfoot.org/wdt.txt
>
> Any help would greatly be appreciated, I know this particular chip is
> included with many motherboards.

well, judging from the Super Micro documentation
(which looks sufficient to me I would say it shouldn't
be too hard to code a watchdog driver similar to the
one in linux-2.4.23/drivers/char/wdt.c

the testing will be a little more complicated, as
as you'll have to do it with the 'reboot' activated
which will force your system down, if it works
(in development the actual reset is often replaced
by a signal light showing that the reset 'would'
occur)

best,
Herbert

> Ethan
>

> -

* Re: w83627hf watchdog
@ 2003-12-08 10:33 ` P
From: P @ 2003-12-08 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ethan Weinstein; +Cc: Linux-Kernel

Ethan Weinstein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My Supermicro X5DPL-iGM-O has a winbond w83627hf chip onboard that
> includes a watchdog timer.  I found a driver on freshmeat that points
> here: http://www.freestone.net/soft/pkg/w83627hf-wdt.tar.gz
> but this does not seem to work correctly on 2.4.23, even with my
> modifications to the ioports and registers that Supermicro sent me. I
> have tried to contact the developer, he hasn't responded.  I also
> located a post to linux-kerel quite sometime ago:
>
> http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Dec/att-4150/w83627hf_wdt.c
>
>  I haven't tried this driver just yet. The lm_sensors project seems to
> include a driver for this chip as well, but not for the watchdog part.
> The specifications Supermicro sent me for the watchdog function are
> located here:
>
> http://www.stinkfoot.org/wdt.txt
>
> Any help would greatly be appreciated, I know this particular chip is
> included with many motherboards.

That freestone piece of crap didn't work for me,
and looking at the code I'm not surprised.
I did a patch against the existing advantechwdt
since the newer advantechs use the w83627hf.
http://www.pixelbeat.org/patches/advantechwdt.diff
I think the advantechwdt.c should be renamed to w83627hf_wdt.c
to avoid confusion (or replaced with the w83627hf_wdt.c
you referenced above, that I didn't notice when
I did this).

Pádraig.

p.s. I needed to merge the info from a couple
of different winbond manuals to do the driver.
Note also the advantech manual describes the
wrong watchdog!