From: Bob <recbo@nishanet.com>
To: linux-kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.6.0-testX show stoppers
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 12:18:08 -0500	[thread overview]

Craig Bradney wrote:

>For the Athlon, keep in touch with the nforce thread on here.. There are
>patches due to timing issues with the nforce chipset.
>
>For me, so far, just using this one works:
>http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/bart/2.6.0-test11-bart1/broken-out/nforce2-apic.patch
>
>There is a program called athcool to turn off CPU Disconnect if you dont
>have that in your BIOS. I havent used this patch as I have found
>reliability using the first one I mentioned.
>
>Craig

The patch works for a lot of people. I've seen those drive
errors, irq7 disabled, spurious 8259a messages with a
bios and acpi and apic and lapic and linux acpi handling
conflict usually related to nforce2 and amd cpu's are
usually involved.

My nforce2 amd system got to working with apic and lapic
and acpi when I did a bios flash update.

On a via chip system, amd cpu, savage pro vid onboard,
it would run stable but there were some no-no's with
regard to acpi-apic-lapic until a bios flash helped.

Things I tried and saw some improvement from were
leaving acpi on and apic on in linux, turn lapic off in
linux. 2) Turn apic off in bios and on in linux. 3) Use
anticipatory scheduling and turn deadline scheduling
off really helped with driver errors on the via box.
4) hdparm off unmask irq feature on drive controllers
by siig sis.

My pcmcia controller doesn't show a sign of life. In
the documentation mine says it's very touchy about
sharing irq's even though it's a pci card. These nforce2
acpi conflicts cause just that sort of problem. On the
bright side, they can go away, it's only a hardware
problem causing juxtaposed by software that can
be changed either in kernel or bios update.

-Bob