Dear Boaz, dear Theodore, Thank you for your replies. On 2019-10-24 22:34, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote: > On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 06:01:05PM +0300, Boaz Harrosh wrote: >>> You could use ext4 in nojournal mode. If you want to make sure that >>> fsync() doesn't force a cache flush, you can mount with the nobarrier >>> mount option. Yeah, that is the current settings we use. >> And open the file with O_TMPFILE|O_EXCL so there is no metadata as well. > > O_TMPFILE means that there is no directory entry created. The > pathname passed to the open system call is the directory specifying > the file system where the temporary file will be created. Interesting. The main problem is, that we can’t control what the users put into the cluster, so a mount option is needed. > This may or may not be what the original poster wanted, depending on > whether by "scratch file" he meant a file which could be opened by > pathname by another, subsequent process or not. Yeah, the scientists send often scripts, where they access the files by subsequent processes. Kind regards, Paul