Thomas Gleixner wrote: > On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 08:41 +0100, Martin MOKREJŠ wrote: > >>>One big problem when killing the requesting process or just sending >>>ENOMEM to the requesting process is, that exactly this process might be >>>a ssh login, when you try to log into to machine after some application >>>went crazy and ate up most of the memory. The result is that you >>>_cannot_ log into the machine, because the login is either killed or >>>cannot start because it receives ENOMEM. >> >>I believe the application is _first_ who will get ENOMEM. It must be >>terrible luck that it would ask exactly for the size of remaining free >>memory. Most probably, it will ask for less or more. "Less" in not >>a problem in this case, so consider it asks for more. Then, OOM killer >>might well expect the application asking for memory is most probably >>exactly the application which caused the trouble. > > > For one application, which eats up all memory the 2.4 ENOMEM bahviour > works. > > The scenario which made one of my boxes unusable under 2.4 is a forking > server, which gets out of control. The last fork gets ENOMEM and does > not happen, but the other forked processes are still there and consuming > memory. The server application does the correct thing. It receives > ENOMEM on fork() and cancels the connection request. On the next request > the game starts again. Somebody notices that the box is not repsonding > anymore and tries to login via ssh. Guess what happens. ssh login cannot > fork due to ENOMEM. The same will happen on 2.6 if we make it behave > like 2.4. > > We have TWO problems in oom handling: > > 1. When do we trigger the out of memory killer > > As far as my test cases go, 2.6.10-rc2-mm3 does not longer trigger the > oom without reason. > > 2. Which process do we select to kill > > The decision is screwed since the oom killer was introduced. Also the > reentrancy problem and some of the mechanisms in the out_of_memory > function have to be modified to make it work. > That's what my patch is addressing. > > >>>Putting hard coded decisions like "prefer sshd, xyz,...", " don't kill >>>a, b, c" are out of discussion. >> >>I'd go for it at least nowadays. > > > Sure, you can do so on your box, but can you accept, that we _CANNOT_ > hard code a list of do not kill apps, except init, into the kernel. I > don't want to see the mail thread on LKML, where the list of precious > application is discussed. > > >>> >>>The ideas which were proposed to have a possibility to set a "don't kill >>>me" or "yes, I'm a candidate" flag are likely to be a future way to go. >>>But at the moment we have no way to make this work in current userlands. >> >>Do you think login or sshd will ever use flag "yes, I'm a candidate"? >>I think exactly same bahaviour we get right now with those hard coded decisions >>you mention above. Otherwise the hard coded decision is programmed into >>every sshd, init instance anyway. I think it's not necessary to put >>login and shells on thsi ban list, user will re-login again. ;) > > > Having a generic interface to make this configurable is the only way to > go. So users can decide what is important in their environment. There is > more than a desktop PC environment and a lot of embedded boxes need to > protect special applications. > > >>>I refined the decision, so it does not longer kill the parent, if there >>>were forked child processes available to kill. So it now should keep >>>your bash alive. >> >>Yes, it doesn't kill parent bash. I don't understand the _doubled_ output >>in syslog, but maybe you do. Is that related to hyperthreading? ;) >>Tested on 2.6.10-rc2-mm2. > > >>oom-killer: gfp_mask=0xd2 >>Free pages: 3924kB (112kB HighMem) > > >>oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x1d2 >>Free pages: 3924kB (112kB HighMem) > > > No, it's not related to hyperthreading. It's on the way out. > > I put an additional check into the page allocator. Does this help ? The application got killed. But, consider yourself the stacktrace ... ;)