From: Pierre Ossman <drzeus-list@drzeus.cx>
To: davids@webmaster.com
Cc: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>, LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [2.6 patch] remove SPF-using wbsd lists from MAINTAINERS
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 02:03:49 +0100	[thread overview]

David Schwartz wrote:

> 	From reading this thread, it's not clear to me which of two possible
> situations we are in:
>
> 	1) The mail server is rejecting perfectly valid email based upon it
> requiring SPF or some similar problem with that mail server.
>
> 	2) The mail server is rejecting email because SPF is misconfigured on the
> other end.

Since it's a bit off-topic for LKML it's being discussed off-list. The
problem was with the DNS servers. Since the mail server could not
determine SPF status for the domain it returned a temporary error
(hoping that the DNS problem would get resolved).

So the situation is more towards 1). The mail is valid, but there is a
DNS (or firewall) misconfigured somewhere.

Rgds
Pierre