* address space reservation functionality?
@ 2005-01-10 20:52 Robert W. Fuller
From: Robert W. Fuller @ 2005-01-10 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was wondering if some functionality existed in Linux.  Specifically,
in Solaris, you can mmap the null device in order to reserve part of the
address space without otherwise consuming resources.  This is detailed
in the Solaris manpage null(7D).  The same functionality is also
available under Windows NT/XP/2K by calling the VirtualAlloc function
with the MEM_RESERVE flag omitting the MEM_COMMIT flag.  Does Linux have
a similar mechanism buried somewhere whereby I can reserve a part of the
address space and not increase the "virtual size" of the process or the
system's idea of the amount of memory in use?  I could not find one by
using the source.

Regards,

Rob