Alan Cox wrote: > On Maw, 2005-01-18 at 15:14, Brian King wrote: > >>Alan - are you satisfied with the most recent patch, or would you prefer >>the patch not returning failure return codes and just bit bucketing >>writes and returning all ff's on reads? Either way works for me. > > > Which was the last one. For userspace we need to block while we finish > the BIST. > > Here is the last one. I've looked at making userspace sleep until BIST is finished. The downside I see to this is that is complicates the patch due to the following reasons: 1. In order to also make this work for Ben's PPC power management usage would require an additional flag and additional APIs to set and clear the flag. 2. Since BIST can be run at interrupt context, the interfaces to block and unblock userspace accesses across BIST must be callable from interrupt context. This prevents the usage of semaphores or simple wait_event macros and requires new macros that carefully check the new pci device flag and manage the spinlock. -- Brian King eServer Storage I/O IBM Linux Technology Center