* git repository for net drivers available
@ 2005-05-13  3:08 Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2005-05-13  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Netdev; +Cc: Linux Kernel, Andrew Morton

Although I have over 200 net driver patches to go through in my
'Pending' folder, I have fully converted the existing netdev-2.6
repository from BitKeeper to git.  This includes the wireless-2.6
repository.

rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git

The main branch is fairly irrelevant, as you must choose the branch you
wish:
> [jgarzik@pretzel netdev-2.6]$ ls .git/branches/
> 8139cp         e1000        ixgb     r8169            skge           we18
> 8139too-iomap  forcedeth    janitor  register-netdev  smc91x         wifi
> amd8111        ieee80211    orinoco  remove-drivers   smc91x-eeprom
> e100           iff-running  ppp      sis900           starfire

For folks looking for a consolidated netdev-2.6 repository (hi Andrew),
that does not exist yet.  I will create an 'ALL' repository for this
purpose, sometime soon.

	Jeff

* Re: git repository for net drivers available
@ 2005-05-13 15:18 ` James Ketrenos
From: James Ketrenos @ 2005-05-13 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: Netdev, Linux Kernel

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> This includes the wireless-2.6 repository.
>
> rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git
>
> The main branch is fairly irrelevant, as you must choose the branch
> you wish:
>
>> [jgarzik@pretzel netdev-2.6]$ ls .git/branches/
>> 8139cp         e1000        ixgb     r8169            skge
>> we18
>> 8139too-iomap  forcedeth    janitor  register-netdev  smc91x
>> wifi
>> amd8111        ieee80211    orinoco  remove-drivers   smc91x-eeprom
>> e100           iff-running  ppp      sis900           starfire

Ok, I'll bite.  Hopefully I'm not the only one tripping on shoe laces...

Here is what I did -- what am I doing wrong?

Following is using cogito 0.10:

REPO=rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pubs/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git
cg-clone ${REPO}
.... get coffee, etc. ... come back and I have a netdev-2.6 tree ...
cg-branch-add wifi ${REPO}#wifi
cg-update wifi
.... connects and attempts to download but fails out with:

----------------
receiving file list ... done
client: nothing to do: perhaps you need to specify some filenames or the
--recursive option?

rsync: link_stat
"/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git/heads/wifi" (in pub)
failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(653)
receiving file list ... done
client: nothing to do: perhaps you need to specify some filenames or the
--recursive option?
cg-pull: unable to get the head pointer of branch wifi
----------------

Should it be trying to get 'wifi' from ...netdev-2.6.git/branches (vs.
heads)?

Tool problem, user problem, complete lack of knowledge re: git and
cogito, or a combination of the above?

Thanks,
James

* Re: git repository for net drivers available
@ 2005-05-13 15:29   ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2005-05-13 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Ketrenos; +Cc: Netdev, Linux Kernel

James Ketrenos wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>

>>This includes the wireless-2.6 repository.
>>
>>rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git
>>
>>The main branch is fairly irrelevant, as you must choose the branch
>>you wish:
>>

>>>[jgarzik@pretzel netdev-2.6]$ ls .git/branches/
>>>8139cp         e1000        ixgb     r8169            skge
>>>we18
>>>8139too-iomap  forcedeth    janitor  register-netdev  smc91x
>>>wifi
>>>amd8111        ieee80211    orinoco  remove-drivers   smc91x-eeprom
>>>e100           iff-running  ppp      sis900           starfire
>>
> Ok, I'll bite.  Hopefully I'm not the only one tripping on shoe laces...
>
> Here is what I did -- what am I doing wrong?
>
> Following is using cogito 0.10:
>
> REPO=rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pubs/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git
> cg-clone ${REPO}
> .... get coffee, etc. ... come back and I have a netdev-2.6 tree ...
> cg-branch-add wifi ${REPO}#wifi
> cg-update wifi
> .... connects and attempts to download but fails out with:
>
> ----------------
> receiving file list ... done
> client: nothing to do: perhaps you need to specify some filenames or the
> --recursive option?
>
> rsync: link_stat
> "/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git/heads/wifi" (in pub)
> failed: No such file or directory (2)

Looks like cogito is using $repo/heads/$branch, whereas my git repo is
using $repo/branches/$branch.

You can achieve what's necessary with

> rsync --verbose --delete --stats --progress \
> -a rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git/ .git

and then

> ( cd .git ; rm -f HEAD ; ln -s branches/wifi HEAD )

and then

> git-read-tree $(cat .git/HEAD) && git-checkout-cache -q -f -a && git-update-cache --refresh

For what it's worth, this is only netdev-2.6 as it appeared in
BitKeeper.  I am only now merging all the emailed patches since BK devel
stopped into git, which includes the ipw code you submitted.

@ 2005-05-14 10:57 ` Krzysztof Halasa
From: Krzysztof Halasa @ 2005-05-14 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: Netdev, Linux Kernel

Hi,

Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> writes:

> Although I have over 200 net driver patches to go through in my
> 'Pending' folder, I have fully converted the existing netdev-2.6
> repository from BitKeeper to git.  This includes the wireless-2.6
> repository.

Do you prefer plain patches or GIT repository on kernel.org to merge
for future (and "current") updates?
I haven't set a public repo up yet, but it's a matter of seconds.
--
Krzysztof Halasa

* Re: git repository for net drivers available
@ 2005-05-14 14:02   ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2005-05-14 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Halasa; +Cc: Netdev, Linux Kernel

Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> writes:
>

>>Although I have over 200 net driver patches to go through in my
>>'Pending' folder, I have fully converted the existing netdev-2.6
>>repository from BitKeeper to git.  This includes the wireless-2.6
>>repository.
>

> Do you prefer plain patches or GIT repository on kernel.org to merge
> for future (and "current") updates?
> I haven't set a public repo up yet, but it's a matter of seconds.

For now, plain patches.

FWIW, I do still have your WAN update patch.

@ 2005-05-15 20:05     ` Petr Baudis
From: Petr Baudis @ 2005-05-15 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: James Ketrenos, Netdev, Linux Kernel, git

Dear diary, on Fri, May 13, 2005 at 05:29:30PM CEST, I got a letter
where Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> told me that...
> Looks like cogito is using $repo/heads/$branch, whereas my git repo is
> using $repo/branches/$branch.

Would it be a big problem to use refs/heads/$branch? That's the
currently commonly agreed convention about location for storing branch
heads, not just some weird Cogito-specific invention. And it'd be very
nice to have those locations consistent across git repositories.

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
Stuff: http://pasky.or.cz/
C++: an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog. -- Steve Taylor

* Re: git repository for net drivers available
@ 2005-05-15 20:20       ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2005-05-15 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Baudis; +Cc: James Ketrenos, Netdev, Linux Kernel, git, Andrew Morton

Petr Baudis wrote:
> Dear diary, on Fri, May 13, 2005 at 05:29:30PM CEST, I got a letter
> where Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> told me that...
>
>>Looks like cogito is using $repo/heads/$branch, whereas my git repo is
>>using $repo/branches/$branch.
>

> Would it be a big problem to use refs/heads/$branch? That's the
> currently commonly agreed convention about location for storing branch
> heads, not just some weird Cogito-specific invention. And it'd be very
> nice to have those locations consistent across git repositories.

Sure, that's doable.

I've pushed out this change to kernel.org.

@ 2005-05-15 21:46       ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2005-05-15 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Baudis; +Cc: Jeff Garzik, Linux Kernel, git

PB> Dear diary, on Fri, May 13, 2005 at 05:29:30PM CEST, I got a letter
PB> where Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> told me that...
>> Looks like cogito is using $repo/heads/$branch, whereas my git repo is
>> using $repo/branches/$branch.

PB> Would it be a big problem to use refs/heads/$branch? That's the
PB> currently commonly agreed convention about location for storing branch
PB> heads, not just some weird Cogito-specific invention. And it'd be very
PB> nice to have those locations consistent across git repositories.

Since Jeff brought up $repo/branches/$branch, you may also want
to add that $repo/branches/$branch is used to record the URL of
the remote $branch (the information used to be in a flat file
$repo/remotes, branch name and URL separated by shell $IFS, one
record on each line), and is quite different from those 40-byte
SHA1 plus LF files you see in $repo/refs/*/ directory.

I think it is a reasonable one, I also follow the
$repo/branches/$branch convention Cogito uses, and I would
encorage other Porcelain implementations to follow suit.