From: Hareesh Nagarajan <hareesh@google.com>
To: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Porting kref to a 2.4 kernel (2.4.20 or greater)
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:47:51 -0700	[thread overview]

Correction:
(Appears with a *)

Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:20:04AM -0700, Hareesh Nagarajan wrote:
>
>>What stumbling blocks do you think I would encounter if I wanted to port
>>kref to a 2.4.xx kernel? Is kref tightly coupled with the kernel object
>>infrastructure found in the 2.6.xx kernel?
>
> Have you looked at the kref code to see if there is any such coupling?

Not really. Kref seems pretty light and loosely coupled with the 2.6
kernel. There just appears to be a C file (and a .h of course).

> Can you describe any problems you are having doing the uncoupling?

I'm having problems porting the KObject* and Work Queue infrastructure
to the 2.4 kernel. Any ideas if anyone has tried this port?

(Correction: * => I meant KThread)

Sorry about that!

Hareesh
-= Engineering Intern =-