Frederik Deweerdt wrote: > On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 12:43:24AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote: >> Ar Gwe, 2006-09-29 am 23:50 +0000, ysgrifennodd Frederik Deweerdt: >>> Does this patch makes sense in that case? If yes, I'll put up a patch >>> for the remaining cases in the drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/ directory. >>> Also, aic7xxx's coding style would put parenthesis around the returned >>> value, should I follow it? >> Yes - but perhaps with a warning message so users know why ? >> >> As to coding style - kernel style is unbracketed so I wouldnt worry >> about either. >> > Thanks for the advices. > > The following patch checks whenever the irq is valid before issuing a > request_irq() for AIC7XXX and AIC79XX. An error message is displayed to > let the user know what went wrong. > > Regards, > Frederik > > Signed-off-by: Frederik Deweerdt Actually, rather than adding this check to every driver, I would rather do something like the attached patch: create a pci_request_irq(), and pass a struct pci_device to it. Then the driver author doesn't have to worry about such details. Jeff