* Failure with SATA DVD-RW
@ 2007-12-05  0:08 Tom Lanyon
From: Tom Lanyon @ 2007-12-05  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi list,

Just built a new machine with a Pioneer SATA DVD drive and linux
distro install CDs are not recognising it. The drive is connected to
the ICH9R southbridge of an Intel P35 chipset motherboard.

I can boot from the CD/DVD so the drive itself is working, but the
kernel reports the following:

scsi4: ahci
ata5: SATA link up at 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
ata5.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/66
ata5.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xef)
ata5.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x104)
ata5.00: limiting speed to UDMA/44
ata5: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
ata5: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
ata5: port failed to respond (30 secs, status 0x80)
ata5: COMRESET failed (device not ready)
ata5: hardreset failed, retrying in 5 secs
ata5: SATA link up at 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
ata5.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/66
ata5.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xef)
ata5.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x104)
ata5.00: limiting speed to PIO0
ata5: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
ata5: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
ata5: port failed to respond (30 secs, status 0x80)
ata5: COMRESET failed (device not ready)
ata5: hardreset failed, retrying in 5 secs
ata5.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/66
ata5.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xef)
ata5.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x104)
ata5.00: disabled

This is 2.6.19 (probably with a few distribution patches) on an
install CD. I also tried setting the SATA controller to a 'compatible
IDE' mode and the hard drives and DVD drive are detected and work
properly.

Any ideas what to try to get it working under AHCI?

--
Tom Lanyon

* Re: Failure with SATA DVD-RW
@ 2007-12-06  1:33 ` Parag Warudkar
From: Parag Warudkar @ 2007-12-06  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Tom Lanyon <tomlanyon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> scsi4: ahci
> ata5: SATA link up at 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
> ata5.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/66
> ata5.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xef)
> ata5.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x104)
> ata5.00: limiting speed to UDMA/44
> ata5: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
> ata5: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
> ata5: port failed to respond (30 secs, status 0x80)
> ata5: COMRESET failed (device not ready)
> ata5: hardreset failed, retrying in 5 secs
> ata5: SATA link up at 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
> ata5.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/66
> ata5.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xef)
> ata5.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x104)
> ata5.00: limiting speed to PIO0
> ata5: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
> ata5: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
> ata5: port failed to respond (30 secs, status 0x80)
> ata5: COMRESET failed (device not ready)
> ata5: hardreset failed, retrying in 5 secs
> ata5.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/66
> ata5.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xef)
> ata5.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x104)
> ata5.00: disabled

Looks like it is trying to set transfer mode to UDMA/66 and failing. After
that it tried UDMA/44 and failed again. Next UDMA/66 again with unsurprising
result - failed. After that PIO0 which seems to cause some kind of trouble,
then it tries UDMA/66 again, and I am not stating the result again :) !

> Any ideas what to try to get it working under AHCI?

I recall reading somewhere - the Pioneer drive needs UDMA/33 which it did not
try in your case - need to some how have it try UDMA/33 but I don't find a
boot parameter which will do that. So may be adding a quirk for this device to
limit the xfer mode to 33 may work.

What does your dmesg output for the drives look like when you run in IDE
compat mode? (Particularly the DMA for this drive?)

Parag

* Re: Failure with SATA DVD-RW
@ 2007-12-07  0:39   ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2007-12-07  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parag Warudkar; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-ide

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 01:33:16 +0000 (UTC)
Parag Warudkar <parag.warudkar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tom Lanyon <tomlanyon <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > scsi4: ahci
> > ata5: SATA link up at 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
> > ata5.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/66
> > ata5.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xef)
> > ata5.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x104)
> > ata5.00: limiting speed to UDMA/44
> > ata5: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
> > ata5: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
> > ata5: port failed to respond (30 secs, status 0x80)
> > ata5: COMRESET failed (device not ready)
> > ata5: hardreset failed, retrying in 5 secs
> > ata5: SATA link up at 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
> > ata5.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/66
> > ata5.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xef)
> > ata5.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x104)
> > ata5.00: limiting speed to PIO0
> > ata5: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
> > ata5: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
> > ata5: port failed to respond (30 secs, status 0x80)
> > ata5: COMRESET failed (device not ready)
> > ata5: hardreset failed, retrying in 5 secs
> > ata5.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/66
> > ata5.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xef)
> > ata5.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x104)
> > ata5.00: disabled
> >
> Looks like it is trying to set transfer mode to UDMA/66 and failing. After
> that it tried UDMA/44 and failed again. Next UDMA/66 again with unsurprising
> result - failed. After that PIO0 which seems to cause some kind of trouble,
> then it tries UDMA/66 again, and I am not stating the result again :) !
>
> > Any ideas what to try to get it working under AHCI?
> >

> I recall reading somewhere - the Pioneer drive needs UDMA/33 which it did not
> try in your case - need to some how have it try UDMA/33 but I don't find a
> boot parameter which will do that. So may be adding a quirk for this device to
> limit the xfer mode to 33 may work.
>
> What does your dmesg output for the drives look like when you run in IDE
> compat mode? (Particularly the DMA for this drive?)

Please cc linux-ide on sata, pata and ide-related issues.

If nothing happens within a few days please raise a report at
bugzilla.kernel.org so we can ignore this in an organised fashion, thanks.

* Re: Failure with SATA DVD-RW
@ 2007-12-07  0:40   ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2007-12-07  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parag Warudkar; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-ide, Tom Lanyon

(argh, shit, resent.  Please don't massage the cc list.  Do reply-to-all)

@ 2007-12-07  2:12 ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2007-12-07  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom Lanyon wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Just built a new machine with a Pioneer SATA DVD drive and linux
> distro install CDs are not recognising it. The drive is connected to
> the ICH9R southbridge of an Intel P35 chipset motherboard.
>
> I can boot from the CD/DVD so the drive itself is working, but the
> kernel reports the following:
>
> scsi4: ahci
> ata5: SATA link up at 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
> ata5.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/66
> ata5.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xef)
> ata5.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x104)
> ata5.00: limiting speed to UDMA/44
> ata5: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
> ata5: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
> ata5: port failed to respond (30 secs, status 0x80)
> ata5: COMRESET failed (device not ready)
> ata5: hardreset failed, retrying in 5 secs
> ata5: SATA link up at 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
> ata5.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/66
> ata5.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xef)
> ata5.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x104)
> ata5.00: limiting speed to PIO0
> ata5: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
> ata5: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
> ata5: port failed to respond (30 secs, status 0x80)
> ata5: COMRESET failed (device not ready)
> ata5: hardreset failed, retrying in 5 secs
> ata5.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/66
> ata5.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xef)
> ata5.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x104)
> ata5.00: disabled
>
> This is 2.6.19 (probably with a few distribution patches) on an
> install CD. I also tried setting the SATA controller to a 'compatible
> IDE' mode and the hard drives and DVD drive are detected and work
> properly.
>
> Any ideas what to try to get it working under AHCI?

How does a remotely recent kernel behave?  :)

There have been a metric ton^2 of fixes in this specific area, in the 12
months since 2.6.19 came out.

	Jeff

* Re: Failure with SATA DVD-RW
@ 2007-12-10  9:45     ` Tejun Heo
From: Tejun Heo @ 2007-12-10  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Parag Warudkar, linux-kernel, linux-ide, Tom Lanyon

Andrew Morton wrote:
> (argh, shit, resent.  Please don't massage the cc list.  Do reply-to-all)
>
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 01:33:16 +0000 (UTC)
> Parag Warudkar <parag.warudkar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Tom Lanyon <tomlanyon <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> scsi4: ahci
>>> ata5: SATA link up at 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
>>> ata5.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/66
>>> ata5.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xef)
>>> ata5.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x104)
>>> ata5.00: limiting speed to UDMA/44
>>> ata5: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
>>> ata5: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
>>> ata5: port failed to respond (30 secs, status 0x80)
>>> ata5: COMRESET failed (device not ready)
>>> ata5: hardreset failed, retrying in 5 secs
>>> ata5: SATA link up at 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
>>> ata5.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/66
>>> ata5.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xef)
>>> ata5.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x104)
>>> ata5.00: limiting speed to PIO0
>>> ata5: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
>>> ata5: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
>>> ata5: port failed to respond (30 secs, status 0x80)
>>> ata5: COMRESET failed (device not ready)
>>> ata5: hardreset failed, retrying in 5 secs
>>> ata5.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/66
>>> ata5.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xef)
>>> ata5.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x104)
>>> ata5.00: disabled
>>>
>> Looks like it is trying to set transfer mode to UDMA/66 and failing. After
>> that it tried UDMA/44 and failed again. Next UDMA/66 again with unsurprising
>> result - failed. After that PIO0 which seems to cause some kind of trouble,
>> then it tries UDMA/66 again, and I am not stating the result again :) !
>>
>>> Any ideas what to try to get it working under AHCI?
>>>
>> I recall reading somewhere - the Pioneer drive needs UDMA/33 which it did not
>> try in your case - need to some how have it try UDMA/33 but I don't find a
>> boot parameter which will do that. So may be adding a quirk for this device to
>> limit the xfer mode to 33 may work.
>>
>> What does your dmesg output for the drives look like when you run in IDE
>> compat mode? (Particularly the DMA for this drive?)

Also, does irqpoll help?

--
tejun