On 11-12-07 13:08, David Newall wrote: > Rene Herman wrote: >> On 11-12-07 08:40, Paul Rolland wrote: >> >>> Well, if the delay is so much unspecified, what about _reading_ port >>> 0x80 ? >>> Will the delay be shorter ? >> >> The delay is completely and fully specified in terms of the ISA/LPC clock > > That would be the delay on the i386 (sic) architecture. In general, > though, the delay is: This particular discussion isn't about anything in general but solely about the delay an outb_p gives you on x86 since what is under discussion is not using an output to port 0x80 on that platform to generate it. > Thinking that _p gives a pause is perhaps too PC-centric. Why, if a delay > is needed, wouldn't you use a real delay; one that says how long it > should be? Because any possible outb_p delay should be synced to the bus-clock, not to any wall-clock. Drivers that want to sync to wall-clock need to use an outb, delay pair as you'd expect. In the real world, driver authors aren't perfect and will have used outb_p as a wall-clock delay which they have gotten away with since it's a nicely specified delay in terms of the ISA/LPC clock and the ISA/LPC clock being fairly (old) to very (new) constant. The delay it gives is very close to 1 us on a spec ISA/LPC bus (*) and as such, even though it may not be the right thing to do from an theoretical standpoint, generally a udelay(1) is going to be a fine replacement from a practical one -- as soon as we _can_ use udelay(), as I also wrote. Rene. (*) some local testing shows it to be almost exactly that for both out and in on my own PC -- a little over. If anyone cares, see attached little test program. The "little over" I don't worry about. 0 us delay is also fine for me and if any code was _that_ fragile it would have broken long ago.