Ian Campbell wrote: > On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 10:23 -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote: >> Ian Campbell wrote: >>> Anyhow, I don't feel all that strongly about it so if the opinion of the >>> early start of day maintainer(s) is strongly in favour of ASM I'll defer >>> to that. >>> >> My opinion is that I want it done properly (PIC and all that jazz) or >> not at all, and certainly would not want to mix linear and >> paging-enabled code in the same file. When it comes to assembly code, >> at least people can *see* that there there be dragons. >> >> The plus *and* minus of a C version is that it's easier for people to >> modify. The plus side of that is that if we really need it, it's a lot >> cleaner; the minus side is that it may encourage more code to creep into >> the pre-paging code, which would not be a good thing IMO. > > Seems reasonable to me. I'll integrate your asm diff with the other > changes and give it a whirl. This version boots into userspace on both PAE and !PAE. You want to take it from here? -hpa