From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@goop.org>
To: Cliff Wickman <cpw@sgi.com>
Cc: Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au>,
	steiner@sgi.com, mingo@elte.hu, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Comments on UV tlb flushing
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:46:41 -0700	[thread overview]

Cliff Wickman wrote:
> I don't know much about x86 configuration options.  It looks like
> CONFIG_X86_GENERICARCH is fairly new, so I don't know where to look
> for samples of how it will be set by RH and SuSE.

No, it's a very old option.  Certainly the Fedora Rawhide kernel I have
sitting here has it set, and I'm pretty sure RHEL always has it set,
since it's necessary to support the big iron hardware that people like
to run RHEL on.  Basically, if a distro doesn't have it set, then they
don't want to support big machines like yours and you should just
recommend your customers use something else.  There are a lot of other
config options which will affect whether a kernel is suitable for your
hardware, like max cpus.  A "desktop only" distro might set max cpus to
8 or 16, which I assume would be disappointingly small for someone who's
just bought a 4k cpu machine.

> But if the tlb_uv.o code should be present in "every" distro x86 kernel
> I don't see the point of having to configure it in.  Why not just
> configure it out for small (embedded) kernels?

Because it's not an binary thing.  Lots of people who are compiling
their own kernels for specialized uses don't set CONFIG_EMBEDDED, but
also don't want a kitchen sink kernel.  6k isn't that much, but if every
obscure platform enabled some always-on code it rapidly starts to build up.

Basically, if you want to make sure if you're going to get some level of
distro support, you need to make contact with the distros directly and
talk about what you'd like them to do.