On 04/14/2010 07:33 PM, Chris Mason wrote: > On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 06:16:53PM +0200, Manfred Spraul wrote: > >> On 04/13/2010 08:19 PM, Chris Mason wrote: >> >>> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 04:09:45AM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote: >>> >>>> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 01:39:41PM -0400, Chris Mason wrote: >>>> The other thing I don't know if your patch gets right is requeueing on >>>> of the operations. When you requeue from one list to another, then you >>>> seem to lose ordering with other pending operations, so that would >>>> seem to break the API as well (can't remember if the API strictly >>>> mandates FIFO, but anyway it can open up starvation cases). >>>> >>> I don't see anything in the docs about the FIFO order. I could add an >>> extra sort on sequence number pretty easily, but is the starvation case >>> really that bad? >>> >>> >> How do you want to determine the sequence number? >> Is atomic_inc_return() on a per-semaphore array counter sufficiently fast? >> > I haven't tried yet, but hopefully it won't be a problem. A later patch > does atomics on the reference count and it doesn't show up in the > profiles. > > >> >>>> I was looking at doing a sequence number to be able to sort these, but >>>> it ended up getting over complex (and SAP was only using simple ops so >>>> it didn't seem to need much better). >>>> >>>> We want to be careful not to change semantics at all. And it gets >>>> tricky quickly :( What about Zach's simpler wakeup API? >>>> >>> Yeah, that's why my patches include code to handle userland sending >>> duplicate semids. Zach's simpler API is cooking too, but if I can get >>> this done without insane complexity it helps with more than just the >>> post/wait oracle workload. >>> >>> >> What is the oracle workload, which multi-sembuf operations does it use? >> How many semaphores are in one array? >> >> When the last optimizations were written, I've searched a bit: >> - postgres uses per-process semaphores, with small semaphore arrays. >> [process sleeps on it's own semaphore and is woken up by someone >> else when it can make progress] >> > This is similar to Oracle (and the sembench program). Each process has > a semaphore and when it is waiting for a commit it goes to sleep on it. > They are woken up in bulk with semtimedop calls from a single process. > > Hmm. Thus you have: - single sembuf decrease operations that are waiting frequently. - multi-sembuf increase operations. What about optimizing for that case? Increase operations succeed immediately. Thus complex_count is 0. If we have performed an update operation, then we can scan all simple_lists that have seen an increase instead of checking the global list - as long as there are no complex operations waiting. Right now, we give up if the update operation was a complex operation - but that does not matter. All that matters are the sleeping operations, not the operation that did the wakeup. I've attached an untested idea. > But oracle also uses semaphores for locking in a traditional sense. > > Putting the waiters into a per-semaphore list is really only part of the > speedup. The real boost comes from the patch to break up the locks into > a per semaphore lock. > > Ok. Then simple tricks won't help. How many semaphores are in one array? -- Manfred