On 07/21/2016 09:43 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote: > On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 13:53:36 -0700, Andy Lutomirski said: >> This avoids pointless races in which another CPU or task might see a >> partially populated global pgd entry. These races should normally >> be harmless, but, if another CPU propagates the entry via >> vmalloc_fault and then populate_pgd fails (due to memory allocation >> failure, for example), this prevents a use-after-free of the pgd >> entry. >> >> Signed-off-by: Andy Lutomirski >> --- >> arch/x86/mm/pageattr.c | 9 ++++++--- >> 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-) > > I just bisected a failure to boot down to this patch. On my Dell Latitude > laptop, it results in the kernel being loaded and then just basically sitting > there dead in the water - as far as I can tell, it dies before the kernel > ever gets going far enough to do any console I/O (even with ignore_loglevel). > Nothing in /sys/fs/pstore either. I admit not understanding the VM code > at all, so I don't have a clue *why* this causes indigestion... > > CPU is an Intel Core i5-3340M in case that matters.... > How much memory do you have and what's your config? My code is obviously buggy, but I'm wondering why neither I nor the 0day bot caught this. The attached patch is compile-tested only. (Even Thunderbird doesn't want to send non-flowed text right now, sigh.) --Andy