* [stable 4.4, 4.9, 4.14, 4.19 LTS] Missing fix "memcg: fix a crash in wb_workfn when a device disappears"
@ 2021-02-10 16:04 Mathieu Desnoyers
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2021-02-10 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable
  Cc: Theodore Ts'o, linux-kernel, Chris Mason, Tejun Heo,
	Jens Axboe, rostedt, Michael Jeanson

Hi,

While reconciling the lttng-modules writeback instrumentation with its counterpart
within the upstream Linux kernel, I notice that the following commit introduced in
5.6 is present in stable branches 5.4 and 5.5, but is missing from LTS stable branches
for 4.4, 4.9, 4.14, 4.19:

commit 68f23b89067fdf187763e75a56087550624fdbee
("memcg: fix a crash in wb_workfn when a device disappears")

Considering that this fix was CC'd to the stable mailing list, is there any
reason why it has not been integrated into those LTS branches ?

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers
EfficiOS Inc.

* Re: [stable 4.4, 4.9, 4.14, 4.19 LTS] Missing fix "memcg: fix a crash in wb_workfn when a device disappears"
@ 2021-02-10 17:09 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-02-10 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers
  Cc: stable, Theodore Ts'o, linux-kernel, Chris Mason, Tejun Heo,

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:04:19AM -0500, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While reconciling the lttng-modules writeback instrumentation with its counterpart
> within the upstream Linux kernel, I notice that the following commit introduced in
> 5.6 is present in stable branches 5.4 and 5.5, but is missing from LTS stable branches
> for 4.4, 4.9, 4.14, 4.19:
>
> commit 68f23b89067fdf187763e75a56087550624fdbee
> ("memcg: fix a crash in wb_workfn when a device disappears")
>
> Considering that this fix was CC'd to the stable mailing list, is there any
> reason why it has not been integrated into those LTS branches ?

Yes, it doesn't apply at all.  If you think this is needed, I will
gladly take backported and tested patches.

But why do you think this is needed in older kernels?  Have you hit
this in real-life?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: [stable 4.4, 4.9, 4.14, 4.19 LTS] Missing fix "memcg: fix a crash in wb_workfn when a device disappears"
@ 2021-02-10 17:25   ` Mathieu Desnoyers
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2021-02-10 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: stable, Theodore Tso, linux-kernel, Chris Mason, Tejun Heo,

----- On Feb 10, 2021, at 12:09 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman gregkh@linuxfoundation.org wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:04:19AM -0500, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> While reconciling the lttng-modules writeback instrumentation with its
>> counterpart
>> within the upstream Linux kernel, I notice that the following commit introduced
>> in
>> 5.6 is present in stable branches 5.4 and 5.5, but is missing from LTS stable
>> branches
>> for 4.4, 4.9, 4.14, 4.19:
>>
>> commit 68f23b89067fdf187763e75a56087550624fdbee
>> ("memcg: fix a crash in wb_workfn when a device disappears")
>>
>> Considering that this fix was CC'd to the stable mailing list, is there any
>> reason why it has not been integrated into those LTS branches ?
>
> Yes, it doesn't apply at all.  If you think this is needed, I will
> gladly take backported and tested patches.
>
> But why do you think this is needed in older kernels?  Have you hit
> this in real-life?

No, I have not hit this in real-life. Looking at the patch commit message,
the conditions needed to trigger this issue are very specific: memcg must
be enabled, and a device must be hotremoved while writeback is going on,
with writeback tracing active.

AFAIU memcg was present in those LTS releases and devices can be hotremoved
(please correct me if I'm wrong here), so all the preconditions appear to be
met.

Considering that I don't have the setup ready to reproduce this issue, I will
have to defer to the original patch authors for a properly tested backport,
if it happens to be relevant at all.

I just though reporting what appears to be a missing fix in LTS branches
would be the right thing to do.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--

@ 2021-02-10 18:00     ` Sasha Levin
From: Sasha Levin @ 2021-02-10 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, stable, Theodore Tso, linux-kernel,
	Chris Mason, Tejun Heo, Jens Axboe, rostedt, Michael Jeanson

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 12:25:31PM -0500, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
>----- On Feb 10, 2021, at 12:09 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman gregkh@linuxfoundation.org wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:04:19AM -0500, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> While reconciling the lttng-modules writeback instrumentation with its
>>> counterpart
>>> within the upstream Linux kernel, I notice that the following commit introduced
>>> in
>>> 5.6 is present in stable branches 5.4 and 5.5, but is missing from LTS stable
>>> branches
>>> for 4.4, 4.9, 4.14, 4.19:
>>>
>>> commit 68f23b89067fdf187763e75a56087550624fdbee
>>> ("memcg: fix a crash in wb_workfn when a device disappears")
>>>
>>> Considering that this fix was CC'd to the stable mailing list, is there any
>>> reason why it has not been integrated into those LTS branches ?
>>
>> Yes, it doesn't apply at all.  If you think this is needed, I will
>> gladly take backported and tested patches.
>>
>> But why do you think this is needed in older kernels?  Have you hit
>> this in real-life?
>
>No, I have not hit this in real-life. Looking at the patch commit message,
>the conditions needed to trigger this issue are very specific: memcg must
>be enabled, and a device must be hotremoved while writeback is going on,
>with writeback tracing active.
>
>AFAIU memcg was present in those LTS releases and devices can be hotremoved
>(please correct me if I'm wrong here), so all the preconditions appear to be
>met.
>
>Considering that I don't have the setup ready to reproduce this issue, I will
>have to defer to the original patch authors for a properly tested backport,
>if it happens to be relevant at all.
>
>I just though reporting what appears to be a missing fix in LTS branches
>would be the right thing to do.

Looks like it doesn't apply due to churn with tracepoints, I think it's
fixable. Let me try and get something for <=4.19.

Sasha

* Re: [stable 4.4, 4.9, 4.14, 4.19 LTS] Missing fix "memcg: fix a crash in wb_workfn when a device disappears"
@ 2021-02-10 18:30       ` Sasha Levin
From: Sasha Levin @ 2021-02-10 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, stable, Theodore Tso, linux-kernel,

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 01:00:25PM -0500, Sasha Levin wrote:
>Looks like it doesn't apply due to churn with tracepoints, I think it's
>fixable. Let me try and get something for <=4.19.

I've queued a backport of that patch (via two prereq patches), thanks!

Sasha