* linux-next: manual merge of the pwm tree with the devicetree tree
@ 2019-11-15  4:44 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2019-11-15  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Reding, Rob Herring
	Benjamin Gaignard, Fabrice Gasnier

Hi all,

Today's linux-next merge of the pwm tree got a conflict in:

  Documentation/devicetree/bindings/pwm/pwm-stm32.txt

between commit:

  56fb34d86e87 ("dt-bindings: mfd: Convert stm32 timers bindings to json-schema")

from the devicetree tree and commit:

  4205e356285e ("dt-bindings: pwm-stm32: Document pinctrl sleep state")

from the pwm tree.

I fixed it up (I just deleted the file - more fixup is probably required)
and can carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next
is concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your
upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging.  You may
also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting
tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the pwm tree with the devicetree tree
@ 2019-11-15  9:41 ` Thierry Reding
From: Thierry Reding @ 2019-11-15  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 03:44:56PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the pwm tree got a conflict in:
>
>   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/pwm/pwm-stm32.txt
>
> between commit:
>
>   56fb34d86e87 ("dt-bindings: mfd: Convert stm32 timers bindings to json-schema")
>
> from the devicetree tree and commit:
>
>   4205e356285e ("dt-bindings: pwm-stm32: Document pinctrl sleep state")
>
> from the pwm tree.
>
> I fixed it up (I just deleted the file - more fixup is probably required)
> and can carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next
> is concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your
> upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging.  You may
> also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting
> tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.

It should be trivial to rewrite the sleep state patch on top of the
json-schema conversion and then take that version into the devicetree
tree.

Fabrice, can you resend that patch based on the devicetree tree?

Thierry

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the pwm tree with the devicetree tree
@ 2019-11-15  9:56   ` Benjamin GAIGNARD
From: Benjamin GAIGNARD @ 2019-11-15  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Reding, Stephen Rothwell
	Fabrice GASNIER

On 11/15/19 10:41 AM, Thierry Reding wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 03:44:56PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Today's linux-next merge of the pwm tree got a conflict in:
>>
>>    Documentation/devicetree/bindings/pwm/pwm-stm32.txt
>>
>> between commit:
>>
>>    56fb34d86e87 ("dt-bindings: mfd: Convert stm32 timers bindings to json-schema")
>>
>> from the devicetree tree and commit:
>>
>>    4205e356285e ("dt-bindings: pwm-stm32: Document pinctrl sleep state")
>>
>> from the pwm tree.
>>
>> I fixed it up (I just deleted the file - more fixup is probably required)
>> and can carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next
>> is concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your
>> upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging.  You may
>> also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting
>> tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.
> It should be trivial to rewrite the sleep state patch on top of the
> json-schema conversion and then take that version into the devicetree
> tree.
>
> Fabrice, can you resend that patch based on the devicetree tree?
Describing sleep state in json-schema is not need since it is included

by the "top" schema.

Benjamin