On 2015-02-02 13:47, Mimi Zohar wrote: > On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 18:08 +0000, Serge Hallyn wrote: >> Quoting Casey Schaufler (casey@schaufler-ca.com): >>> I'm game to participate in such an effort. The POSIX scheme >>> is workable, but given that it's 20 years old and hasn't >>> developed real traction it's hard to call it successful. >> >> Over the years we've several times discussed possible reasons for this >> and how to help. I personally think it's two things: 1. lack of >> toolchain and fs support. The fact that we cannot to this day enable >> ping using capabilities by default because of cpio, tar and non-xattr >> filesystems is disheartening. > > We're working on resolving the CPIO issue. tar currently supports > xattrs. At this point, how many non-xattr filesystems are there really? > FAT*, and UFS immediately come to mind, and I know of people who use UFS for their root filesystem. There are a handful (ext* included) that need an option turned on in the kernel config, and possibly also a mount option added. IIRC, the Linux NFS client has no xattr support, and that is very widely used because it's easier to set up than any alternatives.