* CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2<tripleX> looks dead - could it be removed ?
@ 2005-01-09  5:48 Alessandro Suardi
From: Alessandro Suardi @ 2005-01-09  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hoping that this time the gmail filter doesn't bounce my subject (doh)

Said entry only appears in defconfigs, but doesn't seem to be actually
used by anyone - at least according to this grep:

[asuardi@incident linux]$ find . -type f | xargs grep
CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX | grep -v defconfig
./drivers/scsi/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX)      += qla2xxx/
./include/linux/autoconf.h:#define CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX_MODULE 1
./.config:CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX=m
./.config.old:CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX=m
[asuardi@incident linux]$

Moreover, there doesn't seem to be any entry in kbuild menus to
 turn it off. Even taking it out of my .config and running oldconfig
 brings it back in.

--alessandro

 "And every dream, every, is just a dream after all"

    (Heather Nova, "Paper Cup")

* Re: CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2<tripleX> looks dead - could it be removed ?
@ 2005-01-09  6:05 ` Adrian Bunk
From: Adrian Bunk @ 2005-01-09  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Suardi; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 06:48:41AM +0100, Alessandro Suardi wrote:

> Hoping that this time the gmail filter doesn't bounce my subject (doh)
>
> Said entry only appears in defconfigs, but doesn't seem to be actually
> used by anyone - at least according to this grep:
>
> [asuardi@incident linux]$ find . -type f | xargs grep
> CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX | grep -v defconfig

Correct grep command:
   grep -r SCSI_QLA2XXX * | grep -v defconfig

> ./drivers/scsi/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX)      += qla2xxx/
> ./include/linux/autoconf.h:#define CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX_MODULE 1
> ./.config:CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX=m
> ./.config.old:CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX=m
> [asuardi@incident linux]$
>
> Moreover, there doesn't seem to be any entry in kbuild menus to
>  turn it off. Even taking it out of my .config and running oldconfig
>  brings it back in.

You missed drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/Kconfig .

> --alessandro

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

* Re: CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2<tripleX> looks dead - could it be removed ?
@ 2005-01-09  6:18   ` Alessandro Suardi
From: Alessandro Suardi @ 2005-01-09  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Bunk; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 07:05:31 +0100, Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 06:48:41AM +0100, Alessandro Suardi wrote:
>
> > Hoping that this time the gmail filter doesn't bounce my subject (doh)
> >
> > Said entry only appears in defconfigs, but doesn't seem to be actually
> > used by anyone - at least according to this grep:
> >
> > [asuardi@incident linux]$ find . -type f | xargs grep
> > CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX | grep -v defconfig
>
> Correct grep command:
>    grep -r SCSI_QLA2XXX * | grep -v defconfig

Thanks - it shows I should go to bed after watching the NFL wildcards...

> > ./drivers/scsi/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX)      += qla2xxx/
> > ./include/linux/autoconf.h:#define CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX_MODULE 1
> > ./.config:CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX=m
> > ./.config.old:CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX=m
> > [asuardi@incident linux]$
> >
> > Moreover, there doesn't seem to be any entry in kbuild menus to
> >  turn it off. Even taking it out of my .config and running oldconfig
> >  brings it back in.
>
> You missed drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/Kconfig .

Ah, I see, thanks.

So, if I'm saying CONFIG_SCSI=m for USB storage I get an unwanted
 CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX=m without any way to turn it off.

Well, as long as it's harmless...