On Wed, 2019-03-27 at 11:20 +0000, Lorenzo Pieralisi wrote: > On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 09:52:15AM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote: > > On Tue, 2019-03-26 at 15:58 +0000, Lorenzo Pieralisi wrote: > > > > We did that internally. You really don't want me telling engineers to > > > > post to the list *first* without running things by me to get the basics > > > > right. Not to start with, at least. > > > > > > Hi David, > > > > > > I am obviously in favour of internal review and I do not question it was > > > carried out internally, I just kindly ask developers to drop review tags > > > given internally when going to public mailing lists - I understand it is > > > churn for you but I prefer them to be given explicitly. > > > > Sure, I've provided mine in public now. > > > > I will attempt to remember your preference, although I'm not sure I > > think it's necessary. > > > > What's the failure mode we're protecting against here? That my > > engineers are lying and have *faked* my reviewed-by tag? > > > > Don't you think I'd *eat* them if I ever found that happening? > > As I wrote above, I did not question the internal review process at all, > we do internal review at ARM too in preparation for posting publicly but > I think the patches review should take place on public mailing lists and > tags should be given accordingly, that's it. > > You may see it as churn, fair enough, it is not a big deal either. Understood. As I said, we will endeavour to comply. Note that we may occasionally forget. Our internal review tooling automatically *adds* those tags, when internal review happens. And we have reduced the "legal" approval process to the point where myself or a handful of others only need to give the nod in that same internal technical review tool, for a patch to be sent upstream. This means that engineers will have to remember to actively *remove* those tags when they're sending PCI patches. We'll try to remember :) > > What's next? That you only accept such tags in signed email, so that > > the dishonest engineer in question can't *fake* an email from me to the > > list? They know I'm afflicted by Exchange so they can always send that > > fake message with a message-id matching another message they know is > > already in my inbox, so Exchange will helpfully discard theirs. :) > > There is nothing next :) - I just would like to see patches discussions > and reviews taking place on linux-pci@vger.kernel.org for PCI patches, > I do not think I am asking too much. Not asking too much at all. We will do as you request. I do think it's pointless — you really *don't* want to see the first rounds of review that happened internally, and once the patch makes it to the list, it doesn't make a lot of difference whether my Reviewed- By: tag is already there or not; you don't get to see the previous iterations of the patch or any of those prior review comments anyway. If *all* there is in my public response is that Reviewed-by: tag, there is literally no benefit to that at all, except that you know the engineer isn't lying. None at all. But it's fine. If it really annoys me, I can set up an autoresponder which sends an empty mail with a 'Reviewed-by:' tag, and my engineers can include a header in their patch submission which triggers that. We can even automate the tooling, to turn the normal Reviewed-by: tag into that header which triggers the response. We will comply with your request, even if we don't understand it :)