On 21.02.19 18:17, Martin Kepplinger wrote: > This extends the user interface for rs485 communication: > > We add a new flag, SER_RS485_DELAY_IN_USEC, to struct serial_rs485 that > indicates that delay_rts_before_send and delay_rts_after_send values are > interpreted in microsecond units. > > Up until now, the code comment defined these values to hold the delays in > millisecond units. Especially with fast data rates (1Mbaut or more) that > are not too uncommon for RS485, 1ms become quite long. Users need to be > able to set shorter delays than 1 ms in order not to slow down the channel > unnecessarily. > > So when delays are needed, but not as long as 1ms, this enables faster > communication channels without changing the baudrate. > > Signed-off-by: Martin Kepplinger > --- > > revision history > ---------------- > v2: re-send as a proper series after fixing my mailserver > v1: initial implementation idea > > > So have this totally quirky patch that uses udelay() in our tree > for a looong time now because of the above reasons - and because we are lazy. > This is an attempt to get rid of said patch on our side and fix this properly. > > What do you thing about adding a flag in general? > > The following patches should integrate this idea in devicetree and drivers. > These changes are NOT tested on hardware but should behave predictably > enough. I use the delays in a driver that doesn't implement them yet at > all. I'll do that after this (or something similar) is merged - it's a 2-liner > then. > > Also, a patch to the rs485conf tool, that is sometimes used instead of > ioctl() directly, will be prepared as well. > any objections of questions about having microsecond delays and this series of changes? thanks martin