Hello Rasmus, On 8/30/19 11:46 PM, Rasmus Villemoes wrote: > It has been suggested several times to extend vsnprintf() to be able > to convert the numeric value of ENOSPC to print "ENOSPC". This is yet > another attempt. Rather than adding another %p extension, simply teach > plain %p to convert ERR_PTRs. While the primary use case is > > if (IS_ERR(foo)) { > pr_err("Sorry, can't do that: %p\n", foo); > return PTR_ERR(foo); > } > > it is also more helpful to get a symbolic error code (or, worst case, > a decimal number) in case an ERR_PTR is accidentally passed to some > %p, rather than the (efault) that check_pointer() would > result in. Your text suggests that only cases that formerly emitted "(efault)" are affected. I didn't check this but if this is the case, I like your patch. > With my embedded hat on, I've made it possible to remove this. I wonder if the config item should only be configurable if EXPERT is enabled. > I've tested that the #ifdeffery in errcode.c is sufficient to make > this compile on arm, arm64, mips, powerpc, s390, x86 - I'm sure the > 0day bot will tell me which ones I've missed. > > The symbols to include have been found by massaging the output of > > find arch include -iname 'errno*.h' | xargs grep -E 'define\s*E' > > In the cases where some common aliasing exists > (e.g. EAGAIN=EWOULDBLOCK on all platforms, EDEADLOCK=EDEADLK on most), > I've moved the more popular one (in terms of 'git grep -w Efoo | wc) > to the bottom so that one takes precedence. > > Signed-off-by: Rasmus Villemoes Apart from the above minor issues: Acked-by: Uwe Kleine-König Best regards Uwe