* Re: How is info->cmap supposed to work?
@ 2003-07-25  0:09 Petr Vandrovec
From: Petr Vandrovec @ 2003-07-25  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Simmons; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-fbdev-devel

On 25 Jul 03 at 1:04, James Simmons wrote:

> Hi!

Finally ;-) I just posted on lk that nobody answered...

> > (1) FBIOGETCMAP calls fb_copy_cmap(&info->cmap, &cmap, 0);
> >     Should not it use last argument of '2', as &cmap points
> >     to the userspace? It looks to me like that anybody can
> >     overwrite kernel currently... Only positive side is that
> >     there is no way to control info->cmap contents (see (2)),
> >     so you can only crash kernel with random code, you cannot
> >     stuff some malicious code there.
>
> I think I posted something about that some time ago and I didn't here
> anything. Looking at the code I realized that yeap its broke. Its strange
> that both fb_set_cmap and fb_copy_cmap can get data from userland. I would
> think that we either have fb_set_cmap just set the video hardware or
> have fb_set_cmap be able to grab data from userland and fb_copy_cmap send
> data to userland.

It looks reasonable.

> > (2) FBIOPUTCMAP calls fb_set_cmap, which in turn calls
> >     fb_setcolreg.
>
> True.
>
> >     FBIOGETCMAP copies cmap entries from
> >     info->cmap (after fixing (1)). Does it mean that
> >     fb_setcolreg has to fill info->cmap itself?
>
> No. At present all the drivers initialize a default cmap. Then it
> doesn't matter which function gets called first.

Problem is that if you do FBIOPUTCMAP to change (say) entry #0,
FBIOGETCMAP will retrieve default value of entry #0 instead of value
you just set with FBIOPUTCMAP, unless driver updates its info->cmap
itself...

> > Is not it
> >     a bit ugly? And fb_set_cmap documentation is incorrect:
> >     kspc == 0 means copy from userspace, while
> >     kspc != 0 means copy "local", inside kernel-space. Documentation
> >     says that 0 is local, while 1 is get_user.
>
> :-( I have to look to see if that has been around for a while. I have a
> feeling it has been.

2.4.x does same. But I do not think that it is excuse ;-)

> The reason for the driver initalizing the default cmap is because
> we don't know how big the actual colormap will be. I don't know if
> the generic method of setting to color map to 2^bpp until above 8 bpp
> mode in which case we only set 16 colors will always work. Perhaps we
> could just set the cmap.len field and have the upper layer just generate
> from that.

Ok, then there is a problem - as nothing in matroxfb uses info->cmap,
I did not saw any need to initialize it. I'll fix it.
                                                            Petr

* How is info->cmap supposed to work?
@ 2003-07-21 15:26 Petr Vandrovec
From: Petr Vandrovec @ 2003-07-21 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jsimmons; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-fbdev-devel

Hi James,
  I have few problems with understanding how
info->cmap is supposed to work:

(1) FBIOGETCMAP calls fb_copy_cmap(&info->cmap, &cmap, 0);
    Should not it use last argument of '2', as &cmap points
    to the userspace? It looks to me like that anybody can
    overwrite kernel currently... Only positive side is that
    there is no way to control info->cmap contents (see (2)),
    so you can only crash kernel with random code, you cannot
    stuff some malicious code there.

(2) FBIOPUTCMAP calls fb_set_cmap, which in turn calls
    fb_setcolreg. FBIOGETCMAP copies cmap entries from
    info->cmap (after fixing (1)). Does it mean that
    fb_setcolreg has to fill info->cmap itself? Is not it
    a bit ugly? And fb_set_cmap documentation is incorrect:
    kspc == 0 means copy from userspace, while
    kspc != 0 means copy "local", inside kernel-space. Documentation
    says that 0 is local, while 1 is get_user.

(3) And who is supposed to initialize info->cmap, and to
    what value? It looks to me like that fbdev driver is
    supposed to do:

      memset(&info->cmap, 0, sizeof(info->cmap));
      fb_alloc_cmap(&info->cmap, 256, 1);

    Is it right? What about fb_init_cmap() then? And why
    fbdev has to play with info->cmap, cannot generic
    layer take a care of this, if all info->cmap accesses
    go through generic layer, and fbdev driver itself has
    no need for this field?

    				Thanks,
    					Petr Vandrovec
    					vandrove@vc.cvut.cz