From: Thorsten Leemhuis <linux@leemhuis.info>
To: Paul Menzel <pmenzel@molgen.mpg.de>,
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>,
	Len Brown <len.brown@intel.com>
Cc: Lv Zheng <lv.zheng@intel.com>, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Question regarding power button of Dell XPS13
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 08:48:09 +0100	[thread overview]

Lo! On 23.12.2016 13:36, Paul Menzel wrote:

> I heard that you both have a Dell XPS13. I got the “revision” 9360, and
> installed Debian Stretch/testing on it with Linux 4.8.15 and Linux 4.9-rc8.
>
> When pressing the power button the GNOME dialog, asking what to do
> (restart, power off, …) doesn’t appear.
>
> Neither `xev` nor `acpi_listen` show something, so I submitted ticket
> #190871 [1], and Lv already looked at it.
>
> Just to make sure, that it is really a Linux problem, does the power
> button work for you?

TWIMC: A power button press works fine for me on Fedora 25 Workstation
Edition (running 4.9 currently, but I think it worked with the stock
Fedora kernel, too) on my 9360. From a quick look in the bug report you
mentioned it looks a bit like you might need to enable INTEL_VBTN in
your kernel config. From the Kconfig:

   This driver provides support for the Intel Virtual Button interface.
   Some laptops require this driver for power button support.

HTH, Ciao, Thorsten