From: "Martin J. Bligh" <mbligh@aracnet.com>
To: Daniel Phillips <phillips@arcor.de>,
	Dave McCracken <dmccr@us.ibm.com>,
	"Gerold J. Wucherpfennig" <gjwucherpfennig@gmx.net>,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Page table sharing
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 09:06:15 -0700	[thread overview]

> I'm not sure how relevant page table sharing has to the halloween
> deadline since it's not a feature per se, just an optimization.
> It has more to do with getting numa ia32 boxes to survive, so it's
> an ideal out-of-tree patch.

Any large 32 bit box with significant numbers of processes will need
it to cope with the bloat that rmap introduced - this has nothing to
do with NUMA (some apps may be saved by large pages, some not).
Avoiding hangs from ZONE_NORMAL oom is not an "optimisation", and I
doubt optimisations involving major VM changes would be very welcome
after the freeze. This is something we need to get working ASAP ...

M.