From: Jochen Hein <jochen@jochen.org>
To: linux-kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Cc: ianh@iahastie.clara.net
Subject: Re: [2.6] Missing L2-cache after warm boot
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 14:26:20 +0100	[thread overview]

Ian Hastie <ianh@iahastie.clara.net> writes:

> On Monday 01 Dec 2003 14:04, Jochen Hein wrote:
>> I'm running 2.6.0-test11 on an older Thinkpad 390E,
>> When booting into 2.6.0-test11 after running Windows2000 I get:
>
> Do any of the previous test releases show this problem?

-test11 is the first release running on that machine.  My older TP600
destroyed its WIndows 95 so I got a replacement.  Compiling a kernel
takes an hour or two, so it is not much fun trying different kernels.

> How are you booting
> Linux?  Full warm boot via the BIOS or some loadlin kind of boot?

via BIOS, lilo in MBR

> If it's
> via the BIOS then does that show the L2 cache as being present?

The BIOS doesn't tell anything, the setup doesn't have a "cache
enable" or "turbo" entry.

>> When booting cold the boot messages are:
>
> Presumably from switch on.

Yes.

>> /proc/cpuinfo contains (after warm boot):
>> processor       : 0
>> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
>> cpu family      : 6
>> model           : 6
>> model name      : Mobile Pentium II
>> stepping        : 10
>> cpu MHz         : 298.598
>> cache size      : 256 KB
>
> And shows as 0 after warm boot?

Hm, can't say for sure, because it didn't happen again.

> My immediate thought was a BIOS problem.  IBM's web site doesn't say any BIOS
> updates fix L2 cache related problems, but then it doesn't seem to use
> technical descriptions like that.  It says the latest BIOS is 1.55 - R01_C9.
>
> http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=psg1MIGR-4F3VKB&loc=en_US

I'll see what BIOS I have - it is the latest.  Thanks for the hint anyway.

> Or maybe it's possible that something in MS Windows 2000 is turning off the L2
> cache and it isn't getting reactivated by the warm boot?

Is there any way to see what Windows does here?  I only found a manual
enable of the L2cache when using older processors.

> What happens when
> you do a cold boot to Linux then reboot from there?

That is fine.

For now the system seems to be fine, even when starting from Win2k via
BIOS reboot.  Hmpf.

Jochen

--
#include <~/.signature>: permission denied