On Wed, Jul 11 2018, Andrew Morton wrote: > On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 13:51:08 +0200 Daniel Vetter wrote: > >> But I still have the situation that a bunch of maintainers acked this >> and Andrew Morton defacto nacked it, which I guess means I'll keep the >> macro in drm? The common way to go about this seems to be to just push >> the patch series with the ack in some pull request to Linus and ignore >> the people who raised questions, but not really my thing. > > Heh. > > But, am I wrong? Code which uses regular kernel style doesn't have > these issues. We shouldn't be enabling irregular style - we should be > making such sites more regular. The fact that the compiler generates a > nice warning in some cases simply helps us with that. I think you are wrong .... or at least, not completely correct. I think it is perfectly acceptable in Linux to have code like: for (....) if (x) something(); else something_else(); Would you agree? If not, then I'm the one who is wrong. Otherwise.... The problem is that for certain poorly written for_each_foo() macros, such as blkg_for_each_descendant_pre() (and several others identified in this patch series), writing blkg_for_each_descendant_pre(...) if (x) something(); else something_else(); will trigger a compiler warning. This is inconsistent with the behaviour of a simple "for". So I do think that the macros should be fixed, and I don't think that sprinkling extra braces is an appropriate response. I'm not personally convinced that writing if_no_else(cond) is easier than just writing if (!(cond)); else in these macros, but I do think that the macros should be fixed and maybe this is the path-of-least-resistance to getting it done. Thanks, NeilBrown