On Fri, Feb 05 2021, Andrew Morton wrote: > On Fri, 05 Feb 2021 11:36:30 +1100 NeilBrown wrote: > >> A recent change to seq_file broke some users which were using seq_file >> in a non-"standard" way ... though the "standard" isn't documented, so >> they can be excused. The result is a possible leak - of memory in one >> case, of references to a 'transport' in the other. >> >> These three patches: >> 1/ document and explain the problem >> 2/ fix the problem user in x86 >> 3/ fix the problem user in net/sctp >> > > 1f4aace60b0e ("fs/seq_file.c: simplify seq_file iteration code and > interface") was August 2018, so I don't think "recent" applies here? I must be getting old :-( > > I didn't look closely, but it appears that the sctp procfs file is > world-readable. So we gave unprivileged userspace the ability to leak > kernel memory? Not quite that bad. The x86 problem allows arbitrary memory to be leaked, but that is in debugfs (as I'm sure you saw) so is root-only. The sctp one only allows an sctp_transport to be pinned. That is not good and would, e.g., prevent the module from being unloaded. But unlike a simple memory leak it won't affect anything outside of sctp. > > So I'm thinking that we aim for 5.12-rc1 on all three patches with a cc:stable? Thanks for looking after these! NeilBrown