Hi, Alan Stern writes: >> DATA stage always depends on a usb_ep_queue() from gadget driver. So >> it's always "delayed" in that sense. > > However, it's conceivable that some UDC drivers might behave > differently depending on whether the usb_ep_queue call occurs within > the setup callback or after that callback returns. They _shouldn't_, > but they might. but now we're speculating. Should we really care before we catch regressions? >> it avoids all the special cases. UDC drivers can implement a single >> handling for struct usb_request. We could do away with special return >> values and so on... > > It's not quite so simple, because the UDC driver will need to keep > track of whether a request queued on ep0 should be in the IN or the OUT > direction. (Maybe they have to do this already, I don't know.) UDC drivers already have to do that. >> > request and the UDC would then need to check whether that request corresponds >> > to a status stage and process it accordingly. A new operation specific to this >> >> no, it wouldn't. UDC would have to check the size of request, that's >> all: >> >> if (r->length == 0) >> special_zlp_handling(); >> else >> regular_non_zlp_handling(); > > Checking the length isn't enough. A data stage can have 0 length. apologies, I meant wLength, like so: len = le16_to_cpu(ctrl->wLength); if (!len) { dwc->three_stage_setup = false; dwc->ep0_expect_in = false; dwc->ep0_next_event = DWC3_EP0_NRDY_STATUS; } else { dwc->three_stage_setup = true; dwc->ep0_expect_in = !!(ctrl->bRequestType & USB_DIR_IN); dwc->ep0_next_event = DWC3_EP0_NRDY_DATA; } >> But we don't need to care about special return values and the like. We >> don't even need to care (from UDC perspective) if we're dealing with >> 2-stage or 3-stage control transfers (well, dwc3 needs to care because >> of different TRB types that needs to be used, but that's another story) > > No, we do need to care because of the direction issue. special return values would be rendered uncessary if there's agreement that status stage is always explicit. Why would need USB_GADGET_DELAYED_STATUS if every case returns that? >> > There's also the fact that requests can specify a completion handler, but only >> > the data stage request would see its completion handler called (unless we >> > require UDCs to call completion requests at the completion of the status >> > stage, but I'm not sure that all UDCs can report the event to the driver, and >> > that would likely be useless as nobody needs that feature). >> >> you still wanna know if the host actually processed your status >> stage. udc-core can (and should) provide a generic status stage >> completion function which, at a minimum, aids with some tracepoints. > > Helping with tracepoints is fine. However, I don't think function > drivers really need to know whether the status stage was processed by > the host. Can you point out any examples where such information would > be useful? If you know your STATUS stage completed, you have a guarantee that your previous control transfer is complete. It's a very clear signal that you should prepare for more control transfers. >> >> (But it does involve a >> >> race in cases where the host gets tired of waiting and issues another >> >> SETUP packet before the processing of the first transfer is finished.) >> >> Host would stall first in that case. > > I don't follow. Suppose the host sends a SETUP packet for an IN > transfer, but the gadget takes so long to send the IN data back that > the host times out. So then the host sends a SETUP packet for a new > transfer. No stalls. > > (Besides, hosts never send STALL packets anyway. Only peripherals do.) oh okay. This is the setup_packet_pending case. >> > To simplify function drivers, do you think the above proposal of adding a flag >> > to the (data stage) request to request an automatic transition to the status >> > stage is a good idea ? We could even possibly invert the logic and transition >> >> no, I don't think so. Making the status phase always explicit is far >> better. UDCs won't have to check flags, or act on magic return >> values. It just won't do anything until a request is queued. > > I don't agree. This would be a simple test in a localized area (the > completion callback for control requests). It could even be > implemented by a library routine; the UDC driver would simply have to > call this routine immediately after invoking the callback. I don't follow what you mean here. -- balbi