From: Mathieu Segaud <matt@minas-morgul.org>
To: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Cc: linux-hotplug-devel@lists.sourceforge.net, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 046 release
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:26:32 +0100	[thread overview]

Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> disait dernièrement que :

> I've released the 046 version of udev.  It can be found at:
>   	kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-046.tar.gz
>
> (yes, there has also been releases for versions 040, 041, 042, 043, 044,
> and 045, I just forgot to announce them...)
>
> udev allows users to have a dynamic /dev and provides the ability to
> have persistent device names.  It uses sysfs and /sbin/hotplug and runs
> entirely in userspace.  It requires a 2.6 kernel with CONFIG_HOTPLUG
> enabled to run.  Please see the udev FAQ for any questions about it:
> 	kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-FAQ
>
> For any udev vs devfs questions anyone might have, please see:
> 	kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev_vs_devfs
>
> And there is a general udev web page at:
> 	http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev.html
>
> This release has a completly new backend database.  If you have had
> _any_ problems with udev lockups, 100% cpu utilitization, or issues with
> large machines having a zillion udev processes hanging around, please
> try this release.
>
> For those of you without any udev issues, I recommend the 045 release
> at:
> 	kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-045.tar.gz
>
> It's the same backend database, and has lots of bugfixes and tweaks
> since the 039 release.
>
> Major changes in this release from the 045 release:
> 	- no more tdb backend, we now have 1 file per sysfs entry in
> 	  /dev/.udevdb that holds the information we need.  Yes, this is
> 	  a bit more memory than previously used, but we get the locking
> 	  issues fixed for free as we rely on the kernel file locking
> 	  rules to get it correct.  Anyway, you should have /dev mounted
> 	  on a tmpfs not ramfs so the memory is swapable.
> 	- new keywords to match on (DRIVER and SUBSYSTEM)
> 	- lots of good wait_for_sysfs fixes (we now take advantage of
> 	  the new 2.6.10-rc2 kernel information and don't have to guess
> 	  at what files we might have to wait for.)
> 	- loads of bugfixes and rule files tweaks.

seems like these changes broke something in rules applying to eth* devices.
the rules put and still working with udev 045 have no effect, now....
not so inconvenient now that I've got just one card in my box, but I guess
it could be a show-stopper for laptop users.

My rules which can be found at the end of /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules are:

KERNEL="eth*", SYSFS{address}="00:10:5a:49:36:d8", NAME="external"
KERNEL="eth*", SYSFS{address}="00:50:04:69:db:56", NAME="private"
KERNEL="eth*", SYSFS{address}="00:0c:6e:e4:2c:81", NAME="dmz"

Regards,

> [...]
>   o reduce syslog noise of udevsend if multiple instances try to start udevd
>   o add i2c-dev to the list of devices without a bus
>

> Summary of changes from v042 to v043
>
> Greg Kroah-Hartman:
>   o add test target to makefile
>   o add dumb script to show all sysfs devices in the system
>
> Kay Sievers:
>   o Shut up wait_for_sysfs class/net failure messages, as it's not possible to
>     get that right for all net devices. Kernels later than 2.6.10-rc1 will
>     handle that by carrying the neccessary information in the hotplug event.
>   o wait() for specific pid to return from fork()
>   o Don't use any syslog() in signal handler, cause it may deadlock
>   o Add support for highpoint ataraid to volume_id to suppress label reading on raid set members.
>   o Add a bunch of devices without "device" symlinks
>   o Exit, if udevtest cannot open the device (segfault)
>   o Patches from Harald Hoyer <harald@redhat.com>
>   o Apply the default permissions even if we found a entry in the permissions
>     file. Correct one test, as the default is applied correctly now and the
>     mode will no longer be 0000.
>   o add test for format chars in multiple symlinks to replace
>   o Add net/vmnet and class/zaptel to the list of devices without physical device
>

> Summary of changes from v040 to v042
>
> Greg Kroah-Hartman:
>   o add inotify to the rules for gentoo
>
> Kay Sievers:
>   o skip waiting for device if we get a bad event for class creation and not for a device underneath it
>   o add net/pan and net/bnep handling
>   o switch wait for bus_file to stat() instead of open() add net/tun device handling add ieee1394 device handling
>   o Remove the last klibc specific line from the main udev code Move _KLIBC_HAS_ARCH_SIG_ATOMIC_T to the fixup file which is automatically included by the Makefile is we build with klibc
>   o ignore *.rej files from failed patches
>   o update to libsysfs 1.2.0 and add some stuff klib_fixup Now we have only the sysfs.h file different from the upstream version to map our dbg() macro.
>   o improve klibc fixup integration
>   o cleanup udevd/udevstart
>   o expose sysfs functions for sharing it
>

> Summary of changes from v039 to v040
>
> <jk:blackdown.de>:
>   o wait_for_sysfs update for dm devices
>
> Greg Kroah-Hartman:
>   o sparse cleanups on the tree
>   o fix stupid cut-and-paste error for msr devices on gentoo boxes
>   o add *~ to bk ignore list
>   o delete udevruler.c as per Kay's request
>   o fix up the wait_for_sysfs_test script a bit
>
> Kay Sievers:
>   o fix debug in volume id / fix clashing global var name
>   o volume_id fix
>   o $local user
>   o cleanup netif handling and netif-dev.d/ events
>   o big cleanup of internal udev api
>   o don't wait for dummy devices
>   o close the syslog
>   o Fix ppp net devices in wait_for_sysfs
>   o Fix wait_for_sysfs messages (more debugging info)

<riel> google rules
<google> rules: http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/fre/overview.html

	- Rik van Riel chatting with the bots on #kernelnewbies