From: Paulo Alcantara <pc@cjr.nz>
To: Steven French <sfrench@samba.org>,
	Byron Stanoszek <gandalf@winds.org>, Tom Talpey <tom@talpey.com>
Cc: linux-cifs@vger.kernel.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: CIFS regression mounting vers=1.0 NTLMSSP when hostname is too long
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 16:15:07 -0300	[thread overview]

Hi Steve,

Steven French <sfrench@samba.org> writes:

> makes sense - do you see anything related in the NTLMSSP doc?

I'll quote some relevant parts from MS-NLMP which make sense to me:

	3.1.5.1.2 Client Receives a CHALLENGE_MESSAGE from the Server
	If the NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_VERSION flag is set by the client application,
	the Version field MUST be set to the current version (section 2.2.2.10),
	and the Workstation field MUST be set to NbMachineName.

	3.2.1.1 Variables Internal to the Protocol
	NbMachineName: A string that indicates the NetBIOS machine name of the
	server.

	2.2.2.1 AV_PAIR
	MsvAvNbComputerName: The server's NetBIOS computer name. The name MUST
	be in Unicode, and is not null-terminated. This type of information MUST
	be present in the AV_pair list.

and indeed we set NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_VERSION in
fs/cifs/sess.c:build_ntlmssp_smb3_negotiate_blob().

Unless I didn't miss anything obvious, I think we should be sending
NetBIOS name or simply truncate utsname()->nodename to 16 bytes as
previously proposed by Byron regardless what protocol version is being
used.

Tom, what is your opinion on that?