The attached patch modifies the kernel Maestro sound driver to add a couple of features: * open /dev/dsp many times, not /dev/dsp[0-3] * persistent DMA buffers This code has been well tested and has run for quite a long time with stability and success on a number of Maestro-using computers. The patch has the blessing of Zach Brown, the current maintainer, as far as that goes -- but it's my own work. :) It would be good if people could test this and let me know if they encounter any problems. If not, I will submit it for inclusion in the kernel proper soon. The patch is against 2.4.7-pre3 but should apply successfully to version 2.4.6 or later. Daniel