Hi, Sekhar Nori writes: >>>>> especially since you already know there is going to be another revision >>>>> of hardware. It has the advantage that one can easily grep to see which >>>>> hardware is running current version of controller without having access >>>>> to the hardware itself. Becomes useful later on when its time to >>>>> clean-up unused code when boards become obsolete or for requesting >>>>> testing help. >>>> >>>> This doesn't sound like a very strong argument, actually. Specially when >>>> you consider that, since driver will do revision checking based on >>>> revision register, you already have strings to grep. Moreover, we don't >>>> usually drop support just like that. >>> >>> AFAICS, it is impossible to know just by grep'ing if there is any >>> hardware still supported in kernel and using DWC3_REVISION_194A, for >>> example. >> >> but why do you even care? > > When, for example, its coming in the way of some clean-up I am > attempting to do. can you share one example when a revision check got in the way of a cleanup? I fail to see a situation when we need to drop support to older platforms just to clean some code up. -- balbi