Paul Kocialkowski writes: > The binner BO is a pre-requisite to GPU operations, so we must ensure > that it is always allocated when the GPU is in use. Currently, we are > allocating it at probe time and liberating/allocating it during runtime > pm cycles. > > First, since the binner buffer is only required for GPU rendering, it's > a waste to allocate it when the driver probes since internal users of > the driver (such as fbcon) won't try to use the GPU. > > Move the allocation/liberation to the firstopen/lastclose instead to > only allocate it when userspace has opened the device and adapt the IRQ > handler to return early when no binner BO was allocated yet. > > Second, because the buffer is allocated from the same pool as other GPU > buffers, we might run into a situation where we are out of memory at > runtime resume. This causes the binner BO allocation to fail and results > in all subsequent operations to fail, resulting in a major hang in > userspace. > > As a result, keep the buffer alive during runtime pm. > > Signed-off-by: Paul Kocialkowski > --- > diff --git a/drivers/gpu/drm/vc4/vc4_irq.c b/drivers/gpu/drm/vc4/vc4_irq.c > index 4cd2ccfe15f4..efaba2b02f6c 100644 > --- a/drivers/gpu/drm/vc4/vc4_irq.c > +++ b/drivers/gpu/drm/vc4/vc4_irq.c > @@ -64,6 +64,9 @@ vc4_overflow_mem_work(struct work_struct *work) > struct vc4_exec_info *exec; > unsigned long irqflags; > > + if (!bo) > + return; > + > bin_bo_slot = vc4_v3d_get_bin_slot(vc4); > if (bin_bo_slot < 0) { > DRM_ERROR("Couldn't allocate binner overflow mem\n"); Hmm. We take the OOM IRQ on poweron, have no bin BO since nobody's opened yet, and leave it. Do we ever get the OOM IRQ again after that? Seems like vc4_allocate_bin_bo() might need to kick something so that we can fill an OOM request.