* modpost Module.symver handling is broken in 5.6.0-rc7
@ 2020-03-26 16:25 David Laight
From: David Laight @ 2020-03-26 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Jessica Yu, 'Linus Torvalds'

Something is currently broken in modpost.
I'm guessing it is down to the recent patch that moved the
namespace back to the end of the line.

I'm building 2 'out of tree' modules that have a symbol dependency.
When I build the 2nd module I get ERROR "symbol" undefined message.

If I flip the order of the fields in Module.symver to the older order
and link with modpost from 5.4.0-rc7 (which I happen to have lurking)
it all works fine.

Note that I'm using a named namespace, not the default one
that is the full path of the module.

I'll dig in a little further.

	David

-
Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)

* Re: modpost Module.symver handling is broken in 5.6.0-rc7
@ 2020-03-26 16:50 ` Jessica Yu
From: Jessica Yu @ 2020-03-26 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Laight
  Cc: linux-kernel, 'Linus Torvalds',
	Masahiro Yamada, Matthias Maennich

+++ David Laight [26/03/20 16:25 +0000]:
>Something is currently broken in modpost.
>I'm guessing it is down to the recent patch that moved the
>namespace back to the end of the line.
>
>I'm building 2 'out of tree' modules that have a symbol dependency.
>When I build the 2nd module I get ERROR "symbol" undefined message.
>
>If I flip the order of the fields in Module.symver to the older order
>and link with modpost from 5.4.0-rc7 (which I happen to have lurking)
>it all works fine.
>
>Note that I'm using a named namespace, not the default one
>that is the full path of the module.
>
>I'll dig in a little further.

[ Adding more people to CC ]

Hi David,

Could you provide some more details about how I can reproduce the
issue? As I understand it, you have two out-of-tree modules, and one
has a symbol dependency on the second? Pasting the modpost error
messages helps too.

Thanks,

Jessica

* RE: modpost Module.symver handling is broken in 5.6.0-rc7
@ 2020-03-26 17:06   ` David Laight
From: David Laight @ 2020-03-26 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jessica Yu'
> +++ David Laight [26/03/20 16:25 +0000]:
> >Something is currently broken in modpost.
> >I'm guessing it is down to the recent patch that moved the
> >namespace back to the end of the line.
> >
> >I'm building 2 'out of tree' modules that have a symbol dependency.
> >When I build the 2nd module I get ERROR "symbol" undefined message.
> >
> >If I flip the order of the fields in Module.symver to the older order
> >and link with modpost from 5.4.0-rc7 (which I happen to have lurking)
> >it all works fine.
> >
> >Note that I'm using a named namespace, not the default one
> >that is the full path of the module.
> >
> >I'll dig in a little further.
>
> [ Adding more people to CC ]
>
> Hi David,
>
> Could you provide some more details about how I can reproduce the
> issue? As I understand it, you have two out-of-tree modules, and one
> has a symbol dependency on the second? Pasting the modpost error
> messages helps too.

Ok, I've found out what broke it.
Was actually the removal of the code that parsed Module.symvers
from the current directory (which happened for 5.5.0-rc0).

Took some digging and printfs in modpost to find what wasn't happening.

	David

-

@ 2020-03-26 17:14     ` Jessica Yu
From: Jessica Yu @ 2020-03-26 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Laight
  Cc: linux-kernel, 'Linus Torvalds',
	Masahiro Yamada, Matthias Maennich

+++ David Laight [26/03/20 17:06 +0000]:

Hi David,

I'm a bit confused - just to confirm, is there a legitimate bug
upstream or was it just a hiccup related to your setup?

Thanks!

Jessica

* RE: modpost Module.symver handling is broken in 5.6.0-rc7
@ 2020-03-26 17:34       ` David Laight
From: David Laight @ 2020-03-26 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jessica Yu'