* Kernel Education
@ 2006-01-09 13:00 Weber Ress
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.61.0601090805140.17451@chaos.analogic.com>
From: Weber Ress @ 2006-01-09 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi guys,

I´m starting a social project to teach kernel development for young
students, with objetive of include these people in job market.

These studentes don´t have great skills in mathematical and computer
science areas, but have great interest in development area. Some
studentes have a little basic C language skills.

Which are the first steps that I need in this project ?
Which´s the "more simple" kernel version to teach (2.2 ? 2.4 ? 2.6 ?).

I accept any suggestions.

Best Regards !

* Re: Kernel Education
@ 2006-01-09 13:21 ` Jiri Slaby
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.61.0601090805140.17451@chaos.analogic.com>
From: Jiri Slaby @ 2006-01-09 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weber Ress; +Cc: linux-kernel

Weber Ress napsal(a):
> Hi guys,
>
> I´m starting a social project to teach kernel development for young
> students, with objetive of include these people in job market.
:)

> These studentes don´t have great skills in mathematical and computer
> science areas, but have great interest in development area. Some
> studentes have a little basic C language skills.
>
> Which are the first steps that I need in this project ?
prepare slides for teaching them real-world-(gc)c, not basic.
> Which´s the "more simple" kernel version to teach (2.2 ? 2.4 ? 2.6 ?).
IMHO 2.6 has the clearest api (specific(a) rather than sth. like
a->private->b->private.specific).
But in general it's hard to say this is the simplest one. In 2.2 there is less
code, than in 2.6 and so on

regards,
--
Jiri Slaby         www.fi.muni.cz/~xslaby
\_.-^-._   jirislaby@gmail.com   _.-^-._/

* Re: Kernel Education
@ 2006-01-09 13:25   ` Weber Ress
From: Weber Ress @ 2006-01-09 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Slaby; +Cc: linux-kernel

When I say "more simple" kernel version, I would like say "more
didactics" to teach.

thank´s to all replies.

Best,

Weber Ress

@ 2006-01-09 13:30     ` Kasper Sandberg
From: Kasper Sandberg @ 2006-01-09 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weber Ress; +Cc: Jiri Slaby, linux-kernel

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 11:25 -0200, Weber Ress wrote:
> When I say "more simple" kernel version, I would like say "more
> didactics" to teach.
>
> thank´s to all replies.
>
> Best,
>
> Weber Ress
>
> On 1/9/06, Jiri Slaby <slaby@liberouter.org> wrote:
> > Weber Ress napsal(a):
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > I´m starting a social project to teach kernel development for young
> > > students, with objetive of include these people in job market.
> > :)
> > >
> > > These studentes don´t have great skills in mathematical and computer
> > > science areas, but have great interest in development area. Some
> > > studentes have a little basic C language skills.
> > >
> > > Which are the first steps that I need in this project ?
> > prepare slides for teaching them real-world-(gc)c, not basic.
> > > Which´s the "more simple" kernel version to teach (2.2 ? 2.4 ? 2.6 ?).
well.. if they were ever to do anything useful with it, it would
basically have to be the newest, alot things have changed in 2.2 to 2.6.
> > IMHO 2.6 has the clearest api (specific(a) rather than sth. like
> > a->private->b->private.specific).
> > But in general it's hard to say this is the simplest one. In 2.2 there is less
> > code, than in 2.6 and so on
> >
> > regards,
> > --
> > Jiri Slaby         www.fi.muni.cz/~xslaby
> > \_.-^-._   jirislaby@gmail.com   _.-^-._/
> > B67499670407CE62ACC8 22A032CC55C339D47A7E
> >
> -

* Re: Kernel Education
@ 2006-01-09 16:59     ` Jiri Slaby
From: Jiri Slaby @ 2006-01-09 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weber Ress; +Cc: linux-kernel

Weber Ress napsal(a):
> When I say "more simple" kernel version, I would like say "more
> didactics" to teach.
In that case I bet on 2.6.

regards,
--
Jiri Slaby         www.fi.muni.cz/~xslaby
\_.-^-._   jirislaby@gmail.com   _.-^-._/
B67499670407CE62ACC8 22A032CC55C339D47A7E

* Re: Kernel Education
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.61.0601090805140.17451@chaos.analogic.com>
@ 2006-01-11 18:42   ` Weber Ress
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Weber Ress @ 2006-01-11 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Somebody knows the Nachos? http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/tom/nachos/

Is a good idea use this software in my educational project ?

Best !

Weber Ress

On 1/9/06, linux-os (Dick Johnson) <linux-os@analogic.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Weber Ress wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I´m starting a social project to teach kernel development for young
> > students, with objetive of include these people in job market.
> >
> > These studentes don´t have great skills in mathematical and computer
> > science areas, but have great interest in development area. Some
> > studentes have a little basic C language skills.
> >

> They need more than basic 'C' language skills. They must be _expert_
> in the use of this fundamental tool. Not to worry, your students can
> become expert fairly quickly if, for instance, a project was to
> write a file-system driver.
>
> > Which are the first steps that I need in this project ?
> > Which´s the "more simple" kernel version to teach (2.2 ? 2.4 ? 2.6 ?).
> >

> Version 2.4.x was very reliable and was easiest to make drivers for.
> This was before all the "everything must be GPL crap" was added to
> make life miserable.
>
> However, make-files for 2.6 are easier to create. Also the "job market"
> probably expects one to use 2.6.x
>
> > I accept any suggestions.
> >
> > Best Regards !
> > -
>
> Cheers,
> Dick Johnson
> Penguin : Linux version 2.6.13.4 on an i686 machine (5589.71 BogoMips).
> Warning : 98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

> The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to DeliveryErrors@analogic.com - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.
>
> Thank you.

* Re: Kernel Education
@ 2006-01-11 20:37     ` linux-os (Dick Johnson)
From: linux-os (Dick Johnson) @ 2006-01-11 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weber Ress; +Cc: Linux kernel

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Weber Ress wrote:

> Somebody knows the Nachos? http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/tom/nachos/
>
> Is a good idea use this software in my educational project ?
>
> Best !
>
> Weber Ress

I sent this PRIVATELY to you. You had no right or privilege to
c.c. this to the linux-kernel mailing list! You are, therefore,
a proved creep.

@ 2006-01-12  7:59     ` Peter Bortas
From: Peter Bortas @ 2006-01-12  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weber Ress; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 1/11/06, Weber Ress <ress.weber@gmail.com> wrote:
> Somebody knows the Nachos? http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/tom/nachos/
>
> Is a good idea use this software in my educational project ?

Not really. You student will spend more time working around and fixing
the framework than they will be doing OS development. That in it self
might be educational, but not so much for becoming a better OS
builder.

--
Peter Bortas

* Re: Kernel Education
@ 2006-01-13 22:37     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2006-01-13 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weber Ress; +Cc: linux-kernel

On St 11-01-06 16:42:32, Weber Ress wrote:
> Somebody knows the Nachos? http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/tom/nachos/
>
> Is a good idea use this software in my educational project ?

No. Nachos is ****. Just let them hack something simple on latest
linux.

								Pavel

--
Thanks, Sharp!

* RE: Kernel Education
@ 2006-01-09 13:35 Khushil Dep
From: Khushil Dep @ 2006-01-09 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weber Ress, Jiri Slaby; +Cc: linux-kernel

Before you start in on the Linux kernel I'd suggest you get you students well grounded in operating systems theory. It's a rather huge field of study but just teaching people bits of the kernel is going to be a waste of time if they don't have the comprehension of the whole.

Khushil Dep